The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
hector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is my Sanitizing Solution correct ?

Hi there !

After having the third contaminated Batch , I'd like to see if I make the sanitizing Solution correctly .

I use " Povidone Iodine 10% " which is sold as " Betadine " in drugstores .

I use 1.25 mL of betadine for each Liter of Water .

I don't rinse with water after sanitizing .

Is that O.K. ?!

Hector

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sanitizer solution is just extra protection. Good sanitation means thorough washing with soap and water, and the sanitizer is just "insurance" that you washed your equipment well enough.

I'd use a bleach/water/vinegar solution instead of iodine. When mixed properly it is a safe and easy no-rinse sanitizer.

Use 30ml of plain unscented bleach, dissolve in ~ 19L COLD water, RINSE YOUR MEASURING DEVICE IN HOT WATER, add 30ml of vinegar.

Never mix vinegar and bleach directly. It will make chlorine gas. Only mix it when diluted with water.

The resulting mix should be active for about 4-8 hours, after which you should discard it. It needs a wet contact time of at least 30 seconds with whatever you're sanitizing. 2 minutes contact time is what the FDA recommends, but that's their minimum contact for any/every type of sanitizer, and is probably overkill.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
I'd use a bleach/water/vinegar solution instead. When mixed properly it is a safe and easy no-rinse sanitizer.
I always use Iodophor and nothing else .

Hector

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
marnel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never used Iodine but have used Starsan since day one with no issues (knocking on wood) but seriously the stuff is like brew magic gold in bottle. I usually mix up 2 or so diluted gallons of the stuff for brew day and throw everything that needs to be sanitized in there, then at the end i fill up a spray bottle (about 1.5 liters) and keep that around until bottle/kegging and use for hydro readings, airlock and whatever else i'm uneasy about.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

The proper dilution for iodine based sanitizers is 1 tbs/5 gallons for no rinse. I'm not sure how that translates to liters/

It is perfectly fine to use drugstore iodines, even dairy/farm grade iodine, which many of us have bought in bulk from tractor supply.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including iodine/iodophors here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
troub
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What are the "symptoms" of your contamination, out of curiosity?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I always use Iodophor and nothing else .

Hector
It doesn't sound like that's working out very well for you, so I recommend trying something else.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd recommend Starsan and really just focus on every step in your process after the wort is cooled to see where the contamination may be ocurring. I always have a bottle of diluted Starsan that I use and everything gets a shot of this, including the yeast packets, scissors to cut the packet, my hands, etc.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

About a year ago, I had a problem where two or three consecutive batches got infected. First I bleached everything but then another contamination, so I soaked everything in starsan and again same thing. So I started from scratch and cleaned every piece of equipment in hot PBW for 6 hours followed by a good hot rinse and 10 minute soak in Starsan. Never had another issue. If you have a build up in a valve or some old yeast cake stuck in a hose, sometimes sanitizer isn't enough.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use both starsan and one step but I tend to use the one step a little more just because the foam from the starsan can get very annoying. I know, (don't fear the foam) but man sometimes its just out of hand.

Quick Reply