Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Cranios
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing question?

Im a newbie with a newbie question: I'm planning to use C-brite at least to start with, to sanitize with. However since it requires a rinse-off after sanitizing with it, what keeps the water I would rinse down with (tap water from a well) from introducing harmful bacteria back onto my equipment? Doesn't the rinse-off defeat the purpose of sanitizing? Or am I missing something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
DarthMalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, C-brite has a no-rinse dilution ratio but you need to let it air dry before racking.

If you want to rinse it, you can use boiled or bottled water. I wouldn't rinse with water straight from the tap.

IMO, Star San is a great investment since it's no rinse with a sanitizing contact time of 30 seconds. Consider switching and I think you'll be pleased.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Read this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
jsurfs
Recipes 

I've used C-Brite, Iodophor, and Star San. I like Star San and Iodophor as C-Brite has a very bleachy smell to it. Just make sure you follow the dilution ratio recommendations. But I agree with above I'd invest in Star San.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Cranios
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalt View Post
If I'm not mistaken, C-brite has a no-rinse dilution ratio but you need to let it air dry before racking.

If you want to rinse it, you can use boiled or bottled water. I wouldn't rinse with water straight from the tap.

IMO, Star San is a great investment since it's no rinse with a sanitizing contact time of 30 seconds. Consider switching and I think you'll be pleased.
I did switch, good advice, thank you!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS