Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing fruit with no rinse sanitizer, can it be done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
brewd00d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sanitizing fruit with no rinse sanitizer, can it be done?

I have read that if you sanitized fruit by boiling, some of the flavors are gone and something about the pectin.

I wanted to do a late addition of strawberries into a lager im making (which are already fermenting with strawberries, i want more) but im wondering if i cut them up into a quarters and rinse them with some luke warm water with some no rinse sanitizer if that would be good enough?

Whats your thought?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Boy, I wouldn't. I mean, I know it's "no rinse" but it's not exactly for drinking, either.

I don't put fruit in my beer, but I use fruit all the time in my wines. I use campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) in my wine musts/fruits and that works great.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i meant just a 2-3 minute contact time to sanitize them before i put them into an active fermentation.

i dont want to boil then add them because i dont wanna loose any flavor or have them get soggy and pale looking.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewd00d View Post
i meant just a 2-3 minute contact time to sanitize them before i put them into an active fermentation.

i dont want to boil then add them because i dont wanna loose any flavor or have them get soggy and pale looking.
I don't think 2-3 minutes contact time is enough to thoroughly sanitize fruit, but even so I wouldn't use star-san on it. That's just got such a "yuck" factor and the fruit WILL absorb the sanitizer.

Why not use the k-meta? That's the standard for wine making.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I think it would be ok, just santize them after you cut the tops off, rinse them with some distilled water, then quickly cut them with a sanized knife and chuck em in. Remember, you are putting them into alcohol

Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
michigator04
Recipes 

A lot of people on here seem to use vodka to sanitize fruit, as it is potable and doesn't affect the flavor significantly (in small quantities).

Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaha2057 View Post
I think it would be ok, just santize them after you cut the tops off, rinse them with some distilled water, then quickly cut them with a sanized knife and chuck em in. Remember, you are putting them into alcohol
that was my thought too.

i guess there only one way to find out.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The only sanitizing I have done on fruit beers is to mix the fruit with 1/2 cup of vodka and pour through a strainer. I have done this with strawberries and raspberries with no contamination issues.
FWIW, an issue I experienced using whole strawberries was that the batch came our very tart. It's drinkable but not at all what I was expecting. I believe the reason to be that the strawberries were not quite ripe enough. I used frozen ones from Costco and I did not even think that they could be picked slightly "green". Strawberries are one fruit that does not ripen after picking like bananas or apples.
If I were to use strawberries again, I would try to pick them here locally next month and freeze until I need them.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinebrewer View Post
The only sanitizing I have done on fruit beers is to mix the fruit with 1/2 cup of vodka and pour through a strainer. I have done this with strawberries and raspberries with no contamination issues.
FWIW, an issue I experienced using whole strawberries was that the batch came our very tart. It's drinkable but not at all what I was expecting. I believe the reason to be that the strawberries were not quite ripe enough. I used frozen ones from Costco and I did not even think that they could be picked slightly "green". Strawberries are one fruit that does not ripen after picking like bananas or apples.
If I were to use strawberries again, I would try to pick them here locally next month and freeze until I need them.
thanks for the heads up, the ones i got were locally picked, and from what was said, to pesticides were used.

ill do it. worst case scenario is i know what NOT to do next time.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
genes
Recipes 

Heating will cause some flavor loss, but infection will cause total flavor loss. If I do post fermentation fruit additions I pasteurize the fruit. Heat to 170 F for 10 minutes.

Quick Reply