Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing in dishwasher - A cautionary tale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
jonbomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
I'm a brewing noob. But seriously, if you've got food particles stuck to your bottles, then you've got issues with your dishwasher. It isn't draining. Maybe its overloaded or or something. If food is stuck to your bottles, then its stuck to your dishes too.

I've never had issues with food particles being stuck on dishes (or bottles) when I run our DW.
LOL maybe he put them in there with dirty dishes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I am a triple rinser too, but be wary, the Montrachet yeast in carbed Apfelwein will NOT come out with just a triple rinse. Just ask half of my IPA last summer that turned into nasty, phenolic gushers.
Now if you had run those bottles through a dishwasher with a antibacterial cycle the leftover yeast would have been killed. You might have had ugly floater in your beer, but no gushers. Sanitizers only work on the surface. The inner parts of the yeast gunk are still alive. Heat kills!

Haven't read the whole article Revvy referenced, but if the test was to "evaluate the performance of a general dishwasher" it has no relevence here. I don't think that anyone would argue that using a dishwasher without an antibacterial will sanitize your bottles.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 1

no soap, sanitize setting, heated dry

works great, never had a problem

Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
no soap, sanitize setting, heated dry

works great, never had a problem
Same here.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3479 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

I've never found an bit of anything in or on my bottles from my dishwasher. I've done (mental calculation time...) thousands of bottles in there. Wouldn't do it any other way. They get VERY hot in there, and they don't get any dirtier than when I put them in there (they probably don't get any cleaner, though, at least on the inside).

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
g-nome
Recipes 

I am a longtime dishwasher as bottle sanitizer user. I have been known to add bleach to the wash cycle, but lately (last 20 or so batches) have been lax with the bleach....I run the full heavy wash with hot hot water and then the sani-rinse and dry option....the bottles are too hot to handle 1/2 hour after the cycle has ended.

I have never, ever, had a bottle with food (I do a thorough visual inspection of most bottles, and I rinse my dishes prior to loading them every time) particles in it, never had a bad batch of beer, and might have had a few gushers (less than .1% of all bottles and very rare) over the years of using this process.

Every once in a while to change it up, the bottles also get a long soak in sanitizer....but perhaps every bottle in my inventory gets this treatment once a year.

I think if you have doubts about the insides of your dishwasher, a quick soak in sanitizer might help.....but as we all know in this hobby, a little prevention (rinse those dishes, inspect the inside of dishwasher, and inspect clean bottles) goes a long long way.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Bits of food on the sanitized bottles indicates a problem with the dishwasher. Take out the racks and stick your head in to carefully inspect the bottom of the unit. Use a flashlight, if necessary. You may well find an inordinate amount of crap over the suction screen. Clean out all the bits of food that you can see. Then, at the grocery store, purchase a "bottle" of dishwasher cleaner. You remove the cap, place the "bottle" in the silverware basket and run the washer through an entire HOT cycle. That should clean out whatever your inspection missed, along with stuck-on grease from previous cycles.

Now that the dishwasher is CLEAN, load up the bottles and run it...WITHOUT any detergent...on the hottest cycle and INCLUDE the "hot dry" portion of the cycle. The hot water...and the HOT steam/air...will sanitize whatever is in the dishwasher.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I always run my dishwasher empty, without soap first. After that's done, I run it with bottles inside. Never had a problem. It's good to caution people though! I'll keep an eye out.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've bottled over 60 batches with my dishwasher.

Mine has a 'Sanitize' setting, and they cannot use that term on a dishwasher unless it actually is actually NSF CERTIFIED to remove 99.9% of the bacteria from whatever is inside (NSF Reference)

It's far superior to any other method I've tried - it's failproof, keeps spillover mess contained, fast, simple, and it sanitizes the entire dishwasher periodically so that we are less likely to get sick from eating off dishes that may have bacteria on them (not that that is really a worry).

I've never had any kind of food in my bottles, but even if I found an entire carrot in a beer I wouldn't worry because it would be sanitized

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3479 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
we are less likely to get sick from eating off dishes
You haven't had my wife's cooking.

Thanks for posting that NSF reference.

kidding about my wife's cooking, actually (are you reading this hun?)

Quick Reply