Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing the bottles for later

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
biZurk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing the bottles for later

Hey so im going to begin bottling in the next few days. Can i wash my bottles tonight and let them dry on the counter? I'm just worried about contamination. They would be sitting on the kitchen counter in my apartment for aprox. 48 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
The_Dtrain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would say you are okay to wash and dry them on the counter but you should sanitize them right before you bottle.

I usually wash my bottles several days to weeks in advance. when I need to bottle the beer, I sanitize my bottle tree and then dunk the bottles in star san and hang 'em up. I then bottle about 15-20 minutes later.

I've found it easier and less of a PIA to do it this way then on the same day (which makes for a very long bottling session).

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
On Tap: Double Down, Centennial SMaSH, Belgian White, IPAc, Ed Wort's Apfelwein

Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
marsbike
Recipes 

I've been washing all my bottles right after I empty them, then when it comes to bottling, I take the brush, run that through each bottle, rinse, then break out the bottle tree with the vineator on top. That thing is amazing. I can't imagine bottling without it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
HighGravity
Recipes 

One last piece of advice tonight - 48 hours is a perfect opportunity to use our friend, Bleach. Star san, Diversal (pink powder) both use bleach as the main ingredient. I find Star san too expensive, so I use Diversol when I need very tough cleaning, or plain unscented bleach for normal cleaning/sanitizing. Either of these 2, when put 1 tablespoons per gallon of water, will do the trick. Then on bottle day simply dump and pump full of water to clean the solution out. You can even do it one week early.

Yesterday it took 2 or more hours to fill up about 50 two litre bottles with solution (yes I actually had four batches to bottle). Today, during the time waiting when racking from carboy to the priming bucket, I dumped the solution out of the 11 bottles, rinsed with a jet of hot water then cold, set them in place and the first racking just finished. So bottling about 88 litres (four carboys) took a total of five hours, including spilling a bottle over the entire floor. Starting out can sometimes take 5 hours for a single carboy.

Check these handy faucet attachments out to clean out the solution for certain:

http://www.antonco.com/jetcarboy/

A small amount of $$ will save hundreds of hours washing and now you don't need that expensive "no rinse" sanitizer that the gov't recommends to control your thoughts and subdue you.

Last edited by HighGravity; 06-15-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGravity View Post
One last piece of advice tonight - 48 hours is a perfect opportunity to use our friend, Bleach. Star san, Diversal (pink powder) both use bleach as the main ingredient. I find Star san too expensive, so I use Diversol when I need very tough cleaning, or plain unscented bleach for normal cleaning/sanitizing. Either of these 2, when put 1 tablespoons per gallon of water, will do the trick. Then on bottle day simply dump and pump full of water to clean the solution out. You can even do it one week early.

Yesterday it took 2 or more hours to fill up about 50 two litre bottles with solution (yes I actually had four batches to bottle). Today, during the time waiting when racking from carboy to the priming bucket, I dumped the solution out of the 11 bottles, rinsed with a jet of hot water then cold, set them in place and the first racking just finished. So bottling about 88 litres (four carboys) took a total of five hours, including spilling a bottle over the entire floor. Starting out can sometimes take 5 hours for a single carboy.

Check these handy faucet attachments out to clean out the solution for certain:

http://www.antonco.com/jetcarboy/

A small amount of $$ will save hundreds of hours washing and now you don't need that expensive "no rinse" sanitizer that the gov't recommends to control your thoughts and subdue you.
Star San does not contain bleach....

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
HighGravity
Recipes 

Oops - sorry for the wrong info - it uses an acid to clean!

I remember listening to a fairly long audio tape of the guy who created it, where before he discussed his own product, he talked of bleach at length and what a great chemical it is when fresh. I was using bleach and thought "hey, how wonderful" and forgot he made an acid for star san

Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
ctufano
Recipes 

ive only bottled once, but i soaked a bunch of used bottles (after rinsing with water) in star san to remove labels. I then dried, cappped with tin foil and stuck in a cupboard. Bottling day I broke out the vinator, rinsed about 8 with starsan, set to dry and bottled through them (FIFO style). It took me maybe two hours total to bottle, but i'm confident next time will be much faster.

I'll never use anything but starsan... its so easy, and theres no rinsing. and foam is ok to leave in your containers and all

On deck: BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

Drinking (and almost gone :( ): Cheesefood Caramel Cream Ale
Primary 1: JOAM
Primary 2: Modified JOAM (in a milk jug! :)
Primary 3: Graff Apple Cider
Conditioning: Midwest Supplies Cream Stout

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
HighGravity
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctufano View Post
ive only bottled once, but i soaked a bunch of used bottles (after rinsing with water) in star san to remove labels.

I'll never use anything but starsan... its so easy, and theres no rinsing. and foam is ok to leave in your containers and all
Really if you bottle 20 times or more you'll start thinking about cost. Seems like noone except US folk and Afghanis think about cost nowadays, everyone is rolling in cash right? If you are NOT rolling in it, consider bleach as there is only a single drawback, you must wash it all off before you use the container. That's about it.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You should sanitize on bottling day. It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

Here's a lot of bottling tips to make the job easier. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
tim87tr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about just running the previously rinsed bottles through the dishwasher? That would be easy. Keep the jet dry and detergent out and run a high heat full wash cycle with sanitize high heat rinse and heated dry. Then bottle right away.

Last edited by tim87tr; 06-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Jonathanquist Likes This 

Quick Reply