Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
stvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
Just bought the whole set up. Can't wait To use it. Looks very easy.
Believe me you won't regret it.... and as one of the posters above mentioned putting it together takes some finesse, but other than that you'll cut so much time off your bottling!! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
BigCypress
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the dishwasher when bottling. Open the dishwasher, set up my bottles on the inside of the (clean) open dishwasher door and get to filling. Then when I'm done any drips and spills disappear when I close the dishwasher door.

For bottles, I usually fill the sink with oxyclean, give em a quick scrub with a bottle brush and drop them into a fermenting bucket filled with starsan. When they come out of the bucket, pour out the starsan, give em a quick shake and let them dry on some paper towels.

Done and done. I usually like to get the bottles ready before I go anywhere near the carboy.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would never use oxyclean or harsh chemicals on bottles that were properly rinsed/stored. When I empty a bottle I rinse it well and store it on my bottle tree. On brew day I pump the vinerator 3 times per bottle and it's good to go. I've never had any problems with this method.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Bottles are rinsed as soon as they are empty. Once I have more than a few sitting on the kitchen counter, they get soaked in hot water and Oxiclean, rinsed well, dried, and stored upside down in boxes so dust doesn't get into them.

On bottling day, I use the vinator to squirt Star San inside them. No soaking, no rinsing needed. Why add extra steps?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Clean the bottles as I drink them...give them another cleaning the day of bottling. Then I simply fill my bottling bucket with starsan...fill the bottles from the bottling bucket, and dump the bottles out into another bucket as I go.

Sanitized bottling bucket, sanitized bottles, and 5 gallons of star san to sanitize my other bottling equipment and use another time.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Ster
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Set in bleach solution for 15 minutes, bottle brush and rinse. Then night before bottling, dishwasher sanaitize cycle. Day of bottling: dunk in star san, rinse and fill.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 44

In this thread, and other threads on the same topic, it sure seems that some brewers have become almost "anal-retentive" about cleaning and sanitizing beer bottles. Once I get my "new-to-me" bottles cleaned...label removed and inside scrubbed with a bottle brush, if necessary...they STAY cleaned. I rinse them out thoroughly immediately after pouring. Then, when it's time to bottle, all they need is a quick rinse and sanitizing...and my dishwasher takes care of both of those chores. In fact, as I type this, the dishwasher is running with a load of empty bottles that will soon be filled with delicious beer!

In this hobby, it's easy to begin "over-thinking" and/or "over-doing" each step in the process. As has been stated so many times...RDWHAHB! And if a specific process works for you...then go ahead and use that process, and don't worry about what others are doing.

glenn514

People Like This 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn514 View Post
In this thread, and other threads on the same topic, it sure seems that some brewers have become almost "anal-retentive" about cleaning and sanitizing beer bottles. Once I get my "new-to-me" bottles cleaned...label removed and inside scrubbed with a bottle brush, if necessary...they STAY cleaned. I rinse them out thoroughly immediately after pouring. Then, when it's time to bottle, all they need is a quick rinse and sanitizing...and my dishwasher takes care of both of those chores. In fact, as I type this, the dishwasher is running with a load of empty bottles that will soon be filled with delicious beer!

In this hobby, it's easy to begin "over-thinking" and/or "over-doing" each step in the process. As has been stated so many times...RDWHAHB! And if a specific process works for you...then go ahead and use that process, and don't worry about what others are doing.

glenn514
^^^^^ Very true on the over-doing.... If my bottles are already de-labeled I just rinse well after pouring them, dry on the bottle tree which is in the garage (attached) once dry they're put away then like an above poster stated a few pumps with the washer thingamajig on bottle day and I'm golden, never had any issues or off flavors, I'm afraid if I use another cleaning agent in the process and don't rinse well enough it'll transfer to the finished product. Also the only thing I've ever used to de-label is hot water never used a cleaning agent.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I rinse with hot water after a pour, dishwasher all the bottles and store back in the box.
When I'm ready I fill up each bottle all the way with starsan/water and just dump out right before filling.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
doornumber3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i used the bottle tree yesterday with the sanitizer and it worked fantastic.....really cut down the time and made it alot more organized

Primary: Dirty Penny Scottish Ale
Bottled: DogFish Head 90 Minute IPA
Drinking: Raspberry Wheat, Magic Hat 9, Oatmeal stout

Quick Reply