Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
bmac4007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing

It has been about 15 years since I've done any home brewing. I brewed 8 batches and had mostly success with a couple of failures due to sour beer. I'm sure I did something wrong in my sanitizing efforts. In the past I used bleach as a sanitizer but now have ready access to a commercial sanitizer used in restaurants. Could I get some opinions on whether or not the commercial sanitizer is the way to go?

Thanks for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
BelgianWannabe
Recipes 

we used it a few times (my old room mate was working at papa gino's and used to take it from there), of the three batches we made together, none of them ever got contaminated.
just make sure you rinse well.

life ain't nothin but burgers, beer and blastbeats

Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This thread is a good start...There are MUCH better sanitizer options than bleach...it's sort of oldschool.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

Welcome...

We have a lot of info on here that covers just about everything...check out our stickies at the top of each section for really relevent information, and don't forget the search feature either...it may not be great, but it will bring you back threads covering just about everything you may need.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 12-26-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome back to home brewing!

I'm sure there have been many changes in home brewing and sanitizing since you last tried it. I would not recommend bleach or restaurant chemicals. Too much work with iffy results and rinsing off sanitizer with unsanitized water always seems silly to me.

Using the right tool for the job will make your home brew much better. Buy a good FDA approved brewing sanitizer like Star San. It is effective with a 30 second wet application and is no rinse making sanitizing a snap.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I have been brewing for about 18 months. When I talk to people that were brewing 15 years ago they tell me it is a whole new world with much better ingredients and processes. You brewed good beer bak in the day and you will now begin brewing good beer again.

Welcome back.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
bmac4007
Recipes 

I appreciate the quick responses. The book I used in the past was The Joy of Home Brewing (second edition). I've seen that the book has been updated again but I've also read that How To Brew is good information as well. Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4007 View Post
I appreciate the quick responses. The book I used in the past was The Joy of Home Brewing (second edition). I've seen that the book has been updated again but I've also read that How To Brew is good information as well. Any thoughts on this?
You can check out an older version of, "How to Brew" here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
jacketsfans
Recipes 

I have yet to brew anything myself, but I do know from reading Palmer's first-edition book on his website (linked above) that he's pretty high on Star San, which will absolutely be what I use as well.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 92

What kind of commercial sanitizer is it? Is it Quat? Thats good stuff. I think it's no-rinse. I really like Star-San.

Quick Reply