Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sanitizing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
KingC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sanitizing ?

Hey guys. I want to start my second beer this week or next (my first batch, a Witbier turned out fantastic and my second will be a nice Honey Kolsch for the summer). My question is what else can i do as far as sanitation. I was at northern brewer and forgot to pick up some 'one step' rinse solution and am too lazy to head back over to the store to pick some up. would a bleach solution of some sort work fine, and if so how could one be prepared. thanks for any help for a guy still learnin the ropes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
nickjam
Recipes 

Default Straight from How to brew Beer - John Palmer

You can easily make a simple sanitizing solution by filling the fermentor bucket with 5 gallons of water and adding 5 tablespoons of chlorine bleach (a concentration equivalent to 1 TBS/gallon, or 4 ml/L). Soak all items that need to be sanitized in this bucket for 20 minutes. After soaking, dump the sanitizing solution and pour in some of the pre-boiled water for a quick rinse to remove any excess sanitizer.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used a bleach solution for several brews and it works fine. Use 1 tbl per gal like nickjam says, and be sure to rinse so you don't pick up off flavors from the bleach.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

If it still smells like bleach, keep rinsing.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Poppy360
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing Bottles

I have a load of bottles in a bucket of bleach soln. for sanitizing and getting the labels off.

How do I keep the bottles sterile during and after the drying process and before bottling? Do I rinse with plain tap water and leave them upside down? Should I rinse them with boiled tap water?

Any hints or tips?

Drinking:09-09-09 Barleywine

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
mountainrev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy360
I have a load of bottles in a bucket of bleach soln. for sanitizing and getting the labels off.

How do I keep the bottles sterile during and after the drying process and before bottling? Do I rinse with plain tap water and leave them upside down? Should I rinse them with boiled tap water?

Any hints or tips?
I use the dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. The heat (not detergent!) kills bacteria, especially the dry cycle. I usually time it so that they are done an hour or so before I bottle, so that they're not too hot and kill the yeast, but haven't had a chance to grow bacteria in them yet.

"Give beer to those who are perishing." -- Proverbs 31:6

• In Primary:
  • In Secondary: Bavarian Dunkel Lager
  • In Secondary: Pyramid ESB Clone
  • In Bottles: Cherry Stout

Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrev
I use the dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. The heat (not detergent!) kills bacteria, especially the dry cycle.
What about flip-top bottles? In the past, I've always used the dishwasher for crown-capped bottles, but this time I've bought a few cases of EZ-cap pint and quart bottles. Presumably, I've got to take the rubber seals off before running them through the dishwasher and replace them (sanitized of course) as I bottle. Snapping the seals onto the caps isn't the easiest maneuver, and all that fiddling around and handling seems like a lot more opportunity for infection. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck with regular bottles & caps.

Is the top rack of the dishwasher adequate for sanitizing? I'm sure it gets a lot hotter on the bottom rack, closer to the heating element.

I know, I know...don't worry, have a homebrew! I've picked up a few kegs and a Sanyo 4911, so hopefully I won't have to deal with bottles so much in the future.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
mountainrev
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
What about flip-top bottles? In the past, I've always used the dishwasher for crown-capped bottles, but this time I've bought a few cases of EZ-cap pint and quart bottles. Presumably, I've got to take the rubber seals off before running them through the dishwasher and replace them (sanitized of course) as I bottle. Snapping the seals onto the caps isn't the easiest maneuver, and all that fiddling around and handling seems like a lot more opportunity for infection. Now I'm wondering if I should have stuck with regular bottles & caps.

Is the top rack of the dishwasher adequate for sanitizing? I'm sure it gets a lot hotter on the bottom rack, closer to the heating element.

I know, I know...don't worry, have a homebrew! I've picked up a few kegs and a Sanyo 4911, so hopefully I won't have to deal with bottles so much in the future.
I have been running my flip-tops through the dishwasher without any problems. I suppose it will eventually make the rubber gaskets wear out quicker, but so far, they are just fine.

As far as top rack vs. bottom rack, I use both. Since heat rises, I can't imagine it's dramatically cooler at the top.

"Give beer to those who are perishing." -- Proverbs 31:6

• In Primary:
  • In Secondary: Bavarian Dunkel Lager
  • In Secondary: Pyramid ESB Clone
  • In Bottles: Cherry Stout

Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #9
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrev
I have been running my flip-tops through the dishwasher without any problems. I suppose it will eventually make the rubber gaskets wear out quicker, but so far, they are just fine.

As far as top rack vs. bottom rack, I use both.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, on both questions.

I'm bottling this Sunday, and will run the bottles through the dishwasher, rubber gaskets and all. Replacement seals are cheap, so lifespan isn't a big concern.

Quick Reply