The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
jkenvere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizers

Ive been using SO2 as a sanitizer ( Potassium Metabisulphite) for making wine for 12 years now. I clean with tons of hot water using special bottle washer then I rinse with SO2. I don't rinse after that, just put them in the drying tower. Whats a standard practice for beer. Would leaving the SO2 kill the priming action??

JKEN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Mishkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
The powder is difficult to use for small batches of wine or beer. This is because it inhibits the action of all yeasts; wine yeasts are just more resistant than other microorganisms. If too much potassium metabisulfite is added it will result in a 'stuck' fermentation. The typical amount is around 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. So for batches smaller than this Campden tablets are normally used.
But what that is talking about is adding the potassium metabisulphite in with the wine or beer as an additive. I'm sure rinsing with it would be fine since I doubt it would kill the yeast with such a small quantity of it.
None
Bottled
None
Drinking
Nothing left to drink
Planned
European Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply