Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizer Question....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
JonnyO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizer Question....

I've brewed a couple of batches thus far and have used One-Step sanitizer which was recommended by my LHBS. I was reading some of the "NOOB Advise" sticky, and someone posted that One-Step "isn't really sanitizer." Based on what I've read on this site, the consensus is that Star-San and Iodophor are two of the best/easiest to use. I'll probably get some, but could someone explain the difference with One-Step, and why "it's not really a sanitizer." For the record, when my local guy sold me the One-Step I think his quote was "it's a sanitizer, not a sterilizer." I know the difference between the two of course, but it raises another question.....do most experienced homebrewers look for sterilization in their cleaning process, and is this the difference between One-Step and Star-San/Iodophor? I hope this post was clear enough. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Funny, in November, two of the LHBS's I frequent were warning us that onestep should not be used anymore, especially for bottles. I don't know which group or agency was making that recomendation but they were both telling their customers to swtich to idophor or starsan.

It really is about the number of colonies of nasties it kills....Onestep's kill ratio is not high enough to qualify for FDA approval to be called a food grade sanitizer.

The official definition (Association of Official Analytical Chemists) of sanitizing for food product contact surfaces is a process which reduces the contamination level by 99.999% (5 logs) in 30 sec.

Idophor and Starsan both are FDA approved. They kill just about everything we need to worry about in food handling in less than a minute contact time, depending on the concentration.

One step is really just little more than a strong cleanser. Since it came with your kit use it up...but let everything soak initially for 5-10 minutes.

And as soon as you use it up get one of the real sanitizers. Like I said you can just dip stuff in it for 30 seconds and use it with your beer (like if suddenly your thermometer falls off the side of your pot while you are cooling your wort. You can just dip a pair of kitchen tongs into the sanitizer, cout to 30 and fish it out.)

You can also find Idophor Sanitizers in farm and feed stores...8 dollars for an entire gallon of concentrate...as opposed to 4 bucks for a little 10 ounce bottle.

Both Idophor and Starsan have their strengths and weakness...and their fans. Whichever you choose the one thing you don't have to worry about is them not doing their job.

If you really want to understand it all, you can read this geek document http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FS077

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
JonnyO
Recipes 

thanks for the info. Of course it makes me worry about my current batch a little bit since the One-Step instructions say "sanitizes on contact" so I didn't do a really good soak with my equipment, including my fermenting bucket. Oh well, hopefully nothing nasty was floating around my kitchen that day!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

You're safe with the onestep for now...they wouldn't include it with kits if it ruined beer...It's just not worth the risk in the future, when there are better products out there. And when you run out, for the amount in gallons of sanitized water you get with either starsan or Iodohpor it's way more cost effective than buying onestep. Heck my kit didn't have onestep in it...It came with a small bottle of Iodophor...

If you go with Iodophor, then the answer is no, the iodine smell you get won't effect your beer if you are using the ratio of 1 tbs per 5 gallons of water.

ANd with Starsan...Don't fear the foam!!! THe foam is actually good yeast food...

Since you got some time, til you're going to make the decision which product to use, you might want to listen to these podscast on sanitization at

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...ing-radio-2007

Scroll down til you see these episodes.

Quote:
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3
Quote:
March 22, 2007 - Sanitizing with Iodophor
Murl Landman of National Chemicals talks to us about sanitization techniques in general and using Iodophor specifically.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-22-07.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Revvy, with OneStep, you mentioned to let the items soak for 5-10 min.

It appears I've been making some mistakes then. Is this necessary to let them soak? I've been using a bucket to make the OneStep solution, and then using a sponge to wipe off all my items, and then soak or spray them in StarSan.

What about with Oxyclean... is a soak necessary?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v
Revvy, with OneStep, you mentioned to let the items soak for 5-10 min.

It appears I've been making some mistakes then. Is this necessary to let them soak? I've been using a bucket to make the OneStep solution, and then using a sponge to wipe off all my items, and then soak or spray them in StarSan.

What about with Oxyclean... is a soak necessary?
If you're using starsan, then you really don't need the onestep at all...Of course you are overkilling, which isn't a bad thing actually, but will be cost prohibitive (buying both onestep and Starsan...)

I recommend a 5-10 minute soak with the onestep, because of the kill ratio being so much lower than the 30 second kill rate of the sanitizers...I figure the longer you would let something soak in onestep the higher the kill numbers would be...

I use a 5 gal soysauce bucket to sanitize everything in...I mix a little less than a tbs of Iodophor in 4 gallons of h20 til it's a straw color...then everything goes in it...I also have a sponge that I leave in the bucket (it serves the same purpose that your spray bottle does...for surface contact.) I keep it near the stove during the whole process that way if I need to fish someting out of the wort with tongs or something I'm more apt to remember to sanitize them.)

I also repeatedly soak my hands in it to...especially during bottling...

Also the big thing with the Iodophor or starsan is that you don't have to actually soak anything for thirty seconds....You just have to wet it for 30 seconds...Meaning you can dunk something in it and as long as it doesn't drain dry and is coated with sanitizer for 30 seconds everything dead...

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

good deal. thanks for the info.

i guess overkill with cleanliness isn't a bad thing..lol

I do the same thing... i keep the StarSan bucket, sponge and spray bottle next to my stove and just keep everything in there until I'm ready to use it. I also have a habit of sanitzing everything before putting it all away.

thanks again.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I am generally convinced (with no real scientific proof) that oxyclean and onestep are the same thing. I've used both Iodaphor and One Step as sanitizers with no infections in 22 batches. Once I use all of it up, I'll probably get starsan because it's so highly regarded.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I am generally convinced (with no real scientific proof) that oxyclean and onestep are the same thing. I've used both Iodaphor and One Step as sanitizers with no infections in 22 batches. Once I use all of it up, I'll probably get starsan because it's so highly regarded.

Onestep doesnt foam up enough to be oxyclean (my cleaner of choice, btw)...I think onestep and PBR are the same thing...or at least similar...they both have the same small bubbles when you fill a bowl with each of them and let it sit for a bit...

I was planning to switch to starsan when I finally ran out of Iodophor...but I think I've fallen in love with it...and buying it from a farm and feed at 8 bucks/gallon of concentrate beats the price of starsan any day.

I dunno...I'll probably buy the smallest amount of starsan I can get to try it out...If I decide I like iodophor better, then I'll buy the stuff from the farm and feed...I think 1 gallon would probably last me the next 20 years...

Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never used iodophor but StarSan is great stuff and you can keep using it over and over until the ph level drops to under 3 I believe. I kept screwing up my clothes with bleach so SWMBO banned me from that. I would probably be banned from the iodophor too.

Quick Reply