Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Sanitizer (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-21940/)

BarleyWater 02-12-2007 05:44 AM

OK, bleach sucks, never gonna use it again, I have a brew that tastes like cough syrup. I work in a resuarant and have access to a food safe sanitizer though. It has no name, it's a "chlorinating sanitizer for kitchen utensils and other food-contact surfaces" and shows a listing of the active ingredient which is Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione Dihydrate. If anyone has any idea what this is and if it would be advisable to use it for sanitizing, I would appretiate it. Being a chlorine sanitizer, it does need to be rinsed, but doesn't leave the residual odor of bleach.

Dark_Ale 02-12-2007 06:04 AM

When using bleach use 1 or 2 tablespoons per gallon of cold water.(Use unsented only) Dont let it sit for a long time in plastic, however I let my glass carboys sit in bleach water until the next time I brew.
Always rinse with Hot water. Two or three times if you want. I use to use bleach but I just did'nt like rinsing with tap water because it had not been boiled.
I really like PBW....Powder Brew wash. Everytime I brew I take everything apart and soak it overnight in my stainless brew pot. It works really well. I usually clean with PBW then sanitize with Idophor.
The chemical you are describing may be a good cleaner, and not a good sanitizer, or it may be a good sanitizer and not a good cleaner.
The cough syrup as you describe might not be from the bleach.
Good Luck

Pumbaa 02-12-2007 06:14 AM

yeah I dont think the cough syrup taste is from the bleach. Dont dump your batch and let it sit for a while and I think you'll be ok. As much as I like bleach beause it's cheep I have to admit I am a star san convert and ya cant really go wrong with that it. If you SOL and ya cant get yourhands on star san or idopher then use bleach if ya have too. That stuff ya have at work IMHo sounds like bleach as well though so rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 02-12-2007 06:25 AM

I have never used it myself but i soon hope to pick up a big bottle of Star San.



The cheapest and most readily available sanitizing solution is made by adding 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter). Let the items soak for 20 minutes, and then drain. Rinsing is supposedly not necessary at this concentration, but many brewers, myself included, rinse with some boiled water anyway to be sure of no off-flavors from the chlorine.

Star San

Star San is an acidic sanitizer from the makers of PBW and was developed especially for sanitizing brewing equipment. It requires only 30 seconds of contact time and does not require rinsing. Unlike other no-rinse sanitizers, Star San will not contribute off-flavors at higher than recommended concentrations. The recommended usage is one fluid ounce per 5 gallons of water. The solution can be put in a spray bottle and used as a spray-on sanitizer for glassware or other items that are needed in a hurry. The foam is just as effective as immersion in the solution. Also, the surfactant used in Star San will not affect the head retention of beer like those used in detergents.

Star San is my preferred sanitizer for all usages except those that I can conveniently do in the dishwasher. A solution of Star San has a long usage life and an open bucket of it will remain active for several days. Keeping a solution of Star San in a closed container will increase its shelf life. The viability of the solution can be judged by its clarity; it turns cloudy as the viability diminishes.

One last note on this product: Because it is listed as a sanitizer and bactricide by the FDA and EPA, the container must list disposal warnings that are suitable for pesticides. Do not be alarmed, it is less hazardous to your skin than bleach.


Iodophor is a solution of iodine complexed with a polymer carrier that is very convenient to use. One tablespoon in 5 gallons of water (15ml in 19 l) is all that is needed to sanitize equipment with a two minute soak time. This produces a concentration of 12.5 ppm of titratable iodine. Soaking equipment longer, for 10 minutes, at the same concentration will disinfect surfaces to hospital standards. At 12.5 ppm the solution has a faint brown color that you can use to monitor the solution's viability. If the solution loses its color, it no longer contains enough free iodine to work. There is no advantage to using more than the specified amount of iodophor. In addition to wasting the product, you risk exposing yourself and your beer to excessive amounts of iodine.

Iodophor will stain plastic with long exposures, but that is only a cosmetic problem. The 12.5 ppm concentration does not need to be rinsed, but the item should be allowed to drain before use. Even though the recommended concentration is well below the taste threshold, I rinse everything with a little bit of cooled boiled water to avoid any chance of off-flavors, but that's me.


Heat is one of the few means by which the homebrewer can actually sterilize an item. Why would you need to sterilize an item? Homebrewers that grow and maintain their own yeast cultures want to sterilize their growth media to assure against contamination. When a microorganism is heated at a high enough temperature for a long enough time it is killed. Both dry heat (oven) and steam (autoclave, pressure cooker or dishwasher) can be used for sanitizing."

BarleyWater 02-12-2007 06:26 AM

We legally can't use bleach so we use this stuff. I assure you, it's a kick ass cleaner and sanitizer(industrial strength ya know), I was just wondering if the off flavors associated with bleach could also be associated with any other chlorine sanitizer, say if it's the bleach, not the chlorine, that requires it to be rinsed 8billion times. Also, palmer's howtobrew says "These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds." That's where I was gettin gmy info on that, I'm definately not dumping because it's not too bad, but I was pretty sure that's where the flavor came from.

vtfan99 02-12-2007 12:36 PM

This same sort of thing is what drove me to switch to Star San. Frankly, I don't know what took me so long. The price is well worth the savings in time and sanity.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.