Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitization question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
152Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sanitization question

I know that everything that comes in contact with wort/beer after boil should be sanitized properly.

How many of you actually sanitize the outside of the bucket lid prior to opening (for samples/racking etc)?

I just thought of this last night while I was admiring the bubbles coming from the blowoff tube. There is a little bit of wort residue just under the lip of the lid. I thought this would be an ideal place for wild bacteria to grow and attempt an ambush when I open the lid. I have a feeling that many are going to say RDWHAHB, but I think I am going to wipe it down anyway. It will only take a few minutes and give me peace of mind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
nordoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what you can do is get an empty spray bottle and fill it with sanitized water. always keep it around and use it as needed.

ALEiens Homebrew Club

Kegged- Belgian Blonde
Kegged- Belgian Wit, Joyce de Witt
Bottled- Imperial Spiced Apple Cider
Primary- Apple Cider

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Typically one doesn't open the lid until fermentation is suspected of being complete. Therefore, the wort is now beer, albeit flat, but beer just the same. It also has an alcohol content that would kill most intruders. Secondly, since CO2 is heavier than air, there is a CO2 barrier between the beer and the outside which would further protect the beer. So unless your hands have just come out of the septic tank, you probably don't have much to worry about. Plus, try to not touch anything but the outside of the lid that is always exposed to the elements anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't take the lid off. 1/4" copper tubing (14" long/piece of flexible hose attached) slips nicely through the airlock grommet. Stick the copper in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to sanitize then siphon the sample through the grommet hole. Works for me!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Keeping a spray bottle of mixed Starsan around is great for sanitizing...well just about everything.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. The good thing is that I won't be messing with it until I suspect fermentation is complete + a few days. I was very impatient with a couple batches I did a few years ago and messed with them. They didn't turn out so good; don't know why, but it was probably due to me being impatient and peeking.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Keeping a spray bottle of mixed Starsan around is great for sanitizing...well just about everything.
How long will star san be effective in the spray bottle?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Think about everything you would spray. the buckets, lids, airlocks, racking canes and tubing, turkey baster, your hands and other items used in specialty brews. One spray bottle doesnt last more than a month if you brew regularly. Dont worry about it going bad.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I use a spray bottle for exactly tat reason. Anytime I am opening a fermenter, I spray the area, then when about to replace the lid or bung, I spray everything again, inside and out. And my hands as well.

I don't think, in brewing, there is any such thing as being too sanitary. I'm not a worry wort (get it) about how easy it is to get infections, and the biggest reason I'm not, is that it's really not hard to spray things down with sanitizer, or to take that extra precaution.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome! Thanks. Now I just gotta get a spray bottle with star san mixed up.

Quick Reply