Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #21
Atvar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually use 1/4 oz Star San mixed with 1.25 gallons of water. It's plenty to wet and wipe everything down before I use it. The smaller bottles are even marked with 1/4oz and 1/2 oz pour lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #22
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebrew66 View Post

Starsan is kinda expensive, until you realize how far it goes.

Bought a 1.99 spray bottle and use maybe 1 total bottle to clean equipment and such when brewing and then bottling. I go overboard with it and spray EVERYTHING.
$16 for a 32 ounce container of StarSan. You only really need to mix up 2.5 gallons at a time, so if you do it every time you brew, thats 25¢ per brewday. If you make it last for two brews, thats 12.5¢ per brew!

Disclaimer: I go to art school, don't trust my math.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecav View Post
I keep hearing/reading how important sanitization is but I have not seen any list of proper steps to take in sanitizing brew equipment. I just made my first batch and all I used was the LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner that came in my equipment kit. Is that enough? ...
Hmmmm ... that's the same stuff (LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner) that came with my kit from Midwest Supplies. There was no mention of needing an additional sanitizer with the kit instructions or on their Web site - only a brewpot, thermometer and bottles.

I just brewed my second batch using the LD Carlson. The first one came out fine and tastes good. Hope the next one turns out OK too! I'll have to find some StarSan now I guess.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
are you saying I can just spray every thing instead of mixing up a big 5 gallon batch and if so what ratio of star-san per spray bottle?

-=jason=-
I mix a gallon at a time. About 1/5 per gallon so I fill the bottle to just under the 1/4oz line and mix right in the jug I buy the distilled water in. I fill my spray bottle from that. I use the spray bottle to spray down the inside of the bottles when bottling as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #25
joecav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
Hmmmm ... that's the same stuff (LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner) that came with my kit from Midwest Supplies. There was no mention of needing an additional sanitizer with the kit instructions or on their Web site - only a brewpot, thermometer and bottles.

I just brewed my second batch using the LD Carlson. The first one came out fine and tastes good. Hope the next one turns out OK too! I'll have to find some StarSan now I guess.
I work with a guy who has been homebrewing for awhile. he told me he only uses the no-rinse cleanser and in 25 batches last year only one got infected. he is very thorough with cleaning immediately after using equipment so it sounds like if you stay on top of keeping your equipment clean (thoroughly immediately after use and again obviously before using again) it should be ok. this makes me feel better about the beer that i made with only the no-rinse cleanser

Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
bbognerks
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn514 View Post
I use a very diluted mixture of vinegar and bleach. One needs to be careful when mixing these two, but the mixture I use calls for 1/2 teaspoon of EACH to a gallon of water. I keep some in a spray bottle and liberally spray it on all surfaces that will contact the wort. So far, it has worked well for me, and it's really inexpensive.

glenn514
I think it needs to be stressed that you NEVER directly combine bleach with vinegar. Always add them individually to the water. Also, sanitizing with bleach needs the vinegar to be effective. Lastly, don't use Clorox brand bleach, buy the cheapest bleach you can find as it works the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecav View Post
thanks, is there a good way to tell when to dump and make a new starsan mixture?
pH strips are the best method to tell when it's time to dump starsan.

For great info on sanitizers I strongly suggest listening to these Basic Brewing Radio podcasts. I listened to them the other day and learned a lot.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-22-07.mp3
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3

Quick Reply