Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
joecav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitization

I keep hearing/reading how important sanitization is but I have not seen any list of proper steps to take in sanitizing brew equipment. I just made my first batch and all I used was the LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner that came in my equipment kit. Is that enough? I put warm water in the primary along with all brewing tools I would be using then added the no rinse cleaner. Mixed it all up, washed everything with a clean new sponge and let sit for 30 minutes then emptied the bucket out. Did I do enough or are there any important steps that I missed. The beer fermented properly and reached final gravity, I tasted it when we transferred to secondary and also when bottling and it came out fine. Did I sanitize properly or did I just get lucky that nothing infected my beer?

On Deck - Smokey Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

LD Carlson isn't technically a food grade sanitizer, it just cleans away heavy buildup and debis. You will want to sanatize with something like StarSan, Iodophor, or even diluted bleach (be careful with bleach). One step is very similar to OxiClean and/or Powdered Brewery Wash. I wouldn't worry about your first beer as I'm sure it will be fine. If all the equipment was new and you were careful in your brewing practices it will turn out just fine! I would, however, get into the habit of using a cleaner and sanatizer on your equipment.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I am very new just did my first 5 galon batch yesterday but have used Mr. Beer some. I think what you did is great. We will see what other more experienced brewers say.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel

Old 01-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
LD Carlson isn't technically a food grade sanitizer, it just cleans away heavy buildup and debis. You will want to sanatize with something like StarSan, Iodophor, or even diluted bleach (be careful with bleach). One step is very similar to OxiClean and/or Powdered Brewery Wash. I wouldn't worry about your first beer as I'm sure it will be fine. If all the equipment was new and you were careful in your brewing practices it will turn out just fine! I would, however, get into the habit of using a cleaner and sanatizer on your equipment.
Well I think it can be used as a sanitizer also. I was talking to Northern Brewers and that stated that Easy Clean LD Carlson can and is a good sanitizer to use.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel

Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/

Here is a good read that will help answer questions about sanatizers. The LD Carlson site is very vague but the description and packaging leads me to believe that it's just another sodium percorbonate type solution, ala OxiClean, Powdered Brewery Wash, and Straight-A. The packaging says its a "No Rinse Cleanser" and says nothing about sanatizing.

Another big difference is contact time when sanatizing with StarSan or Iodophor compared to One Step or other such no rinse products. I think the biggest thing about StarSan and Iodophor is that they require very little contact time and can be reused numerous times. Not to mention that a little bit goes a long way.

I suppose in the end it all comes down to personal preference but I think you will see that many people around here prefer to go with the two step method, cleanser and then sanatizer.

But hey, I'm no Northern Brewer and my experience with LD Carlson products is very limited

Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Emmett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used LDs cleanser exclusively for a while, now I use Star-San. When I switched it was because I was getting some funky flavors in every batch I made. I changed a few things for better sterilization so I'm not positive that was the problem.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I used LDs cleanser exclusively for a while, now I use Star-San. When I switched it was because I was getting some funky flavors in every batch I made. I changed a few things for better sterilization so I'm not positive that was the problem.
If the flavors went away after you switched it could have very well been the cause. I am cautious about no rinse cleansers because they can still leave a residual film on glass and plastic. I always rinse with water after cleaning and then sterilize with StarSan. Remember, don't fear the foam!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

a spray bottle filled with starsan comes in real handy also

Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
mfraier
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
a spray bottle filled with starsan comes in real handy also
+1000 to that. The great thing about star san is you can store it in a bucket with a lid and resuse over and over. I used bleach for a long time because it was what my first brewing book said to use.....once I switched to no rinse brewing was so much easier.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use a very diluted mixture of vinegar and bleach. One needs to be careful when mixing these two, but the mixture I use calls for 1/2 teaspoon of EACH to a gallon of water. I keep some in a spray bottle and liberally spray it on all surfaces that will contact the wort. So far, it has worked well for me, and it's really inexpensive.

glenn514

Quick Reply