Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sanitation question for chili beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
LSDracula
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sanitation question for chili beer

Well tomorrow I am brewing an ancho chile pale ale and I had a question about sanitation.
I had planned to pitch the chiles directly into the wort along with the yeast but after reading more on the subject I have become worried about sanitation.
I was thinking I could steep the chiles in some 171F water for 10 minutes and add then add everything to the wort as it cools.
Only problem is I am using the chiles in place of an aroma hop addition as to not compete in the flavor/aroma profile of the final beer.
I know boiling will destroy much of the flavor/aroma profile. Not sure if steeping at 171F will do the same.
Or should I just throw them in like I had planned and not worry... RDWHAHB?
Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

add the chillies at knock out.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If it's the aroma hop addition, then treat it exactly like you would an aroma hop, anywhere between last 15 minutes and flameout.

If you decide you need some more later, like in secondary, steep it like a tea in 2 cups of boiling water. Put the chiles in a heat proof container, bring water to boil on the stove, as soon as it hits boiling, pour that in the container on top of the chiles. Steep for 10 minutes or so. Then either add everything, including the reconstituted chiles in the primary or secondary, OR strain them with a sanitized strainer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
LSDracula
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the idea of throwing them in at knockout. Then I'll let it sit for 10 minutes should do the same thing as my steeping idea.
Thanks for the swift response.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made a beer with serrano peppers and just sanitized the outside, broke them into pieces and tossed them into secondary for a week. Best chili beer I have ever tasted, and got rave reviews.

Quick Reply