Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Default Sanitation

Tomorrow will be my first batch....

What are some good tips to keep in mind when sanatizing. I am going to be using the iodine method. It seems to me, that if you clean everything prior to getting started you risk contamination while the things are lying around waiting to be used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Sanitize everything that comes in contact with your wort post boil in accordance with your particular sanitizers instructions.

Keep a spray bottle handy to sanitize things on the fly without having to waste too much sanitizer.

If you're using a no-rinse sanitizer (Iodophor) then really, really, really, don't rinse it.

Next!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
TheTower
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I keep a bucket of sanitizer with me at all times and anything that I'm not using at the time stays in the bucket. I work in a lab, so I'm pretty instictive about contamination, but basically nothing touches the wort unless it coming directly out of the sanitizer. The spray bottle accomplishes the same thing, I just happen to have a spare bucket.

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I keep a large, shallow plastic tray (about 3 feet long by 15 inches wide by about 6 inches deep) on the counter top right next to the sink. I put a gallon or two of sanitizer solution in there (usually Iodophor, so I can just dump it when I'm finished) along with everything I will be using - I can even get my autosiphon and tubing in there completely submerged, along with hydrometer, wine thief, airlock, stoppers, etc. Anything that can't be completely submerged, such as funnels, can be swirled around to sanitize. This makes everything easy to reach - I dip my hands into the solution to make sure they are sanitized, then pick up whatever tool I need. I also keep a gallon jug of sanitizer (Iodophor or Star San) and a spray bottle of Star San nearby.
I think I bought the tray at Target (maybe WalMart ?) - it has a lid, so when I'm finished, I can store all my brewing tools in there and keep them clean.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Soooooo much sanitizer being wasted. Maybe I should found the Save the Sanitizer Foundation and get some government sponsorship to pass out spray bottles and distilled water.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Soooooo much sanitizer being wasted. Maybe I should found the Save the Sanitizer Foundation and get some government sponsorship to pass out spray bottles and distilled water.
Better to waste sanitizer than beer.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to sanitize. I'm just saying it's easier and cheaper to use a spray bottle. So much sanitizer is being wasted by dunkers and soakers.

Sprayers and vinators, unite! Let us free the people from their wasteful methods during this economic crisis!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying not to sanitize. I'm just saying it's easier and cheaper to use a spray bottle. So much sanitizer is being wasted by dunkers and soakers.

Sprayers and vinators, unite! Let us free the people from their wasteful methods during this economic crisis!
The Iodophor that I use for soaking is cheap. The peace of mind I get from soaking everything is worth the price. I also use Star San for carboys and buckets and save that for reuse later.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I was planning on using Iodophor to sanatize by bottling bucket and carboy...Would this be sufficient to top them off with water and then apply the right amount of Iod. and let soak for 10 min.?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I was planning on using Iodophor to sanatize by bottling bucket and carboy...Would this be sufficient to top them off with water and then apply the right amount of Iod. and let soak for 10 min.?
Just get enough in there to swirl around you don't need to fill them. Iodophor only needs about 30-60 second contact time.

Quick Reply