Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanatizing Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
bfgcdub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sanatizing Bottles

It probably would've been smarter to ask first then do but it's too late for that now...

So I recently soaked my collection of used bottles (woodchuck and Great Lakes) in a mixture of warm water and oxyclean to remove the labels and adhesive (which worked great). When pulling the bottles out of the bucket I noticed that they had a slippery almost soapy feeling to them. Now that they're dry they feel normal.

My question is this: will the oxyclean have left some residue on the bottles that will affect my beer? What is the best way for me to sanitize at this point? I've debated on running them in my dishwasher on high temp with no soap or just soaking them in Star-San. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance from a first batch newbie!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
jcaprell
Recipes 

I've never had any issues running my bottles through the dishwasher. If it were me, I'd do it just to be safe. I am however, always really paranoid about sanitation and the like when I brew and I am definitely a beginner so that's not saying much.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 132

You did rinse them well, right? If not, make sure you rinse that oxyclean residue. I use my dishwasher with no soap and 'heated dry' cycle for sanitation. Works for me. Lots of folks use a starsan soak or spray. Works for them. Try each method on 1/2 of your bottles and see which method works for you.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Aren't Woodchuck bottles twistoff? Twistoffs don't cap so well, and tend to either break at the neck, or lose pressure with time. If that's all you have be extra careful while capping.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I only know what works for me so far... so with said grain of salt..

Rinse after pouring beer. next day, set to soak in http://www.oxiclean.com/ to remove labels. Set to dru on bottle tree to drip dry.

Once I have 40 or so, Run through dishwasher no soap, use sanitizer and heat dry settings.
Spray bottle tryy with starsan, set bottles on it.. wait till bottling day.
Bottling day, in a spare 6.5 gal bucket, mix up 3gal of starsan, bottles go in bucket and get submerged (about 20 of them.)

Bottle out.. drip dry a sec, fill with beer....my bottle filler holder deal holds 8 bottles.. Once 8 are done, I cap them and put aside...

Repeat till all bottles are filled (or bottling bucket is empty...I hate that part)

Fermenting 3: Empty (sad)
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter

Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
MadCnty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a vinator (sp) to sanitize my bottles then place them on a tree before bottling... Also I have purchased two C & W crates for storing some of my bottles, and they offer drying trees that fit inside (so also an option). I will say that the crates are VERY nice... More are in my future...

Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCnty View Post
I use a vinator (sp) to sanitize my bottles then place them on a tree before bottling... Also I have purchased two C & W crates for storing some of my bottles, and they offer drying trees that fit inside (so also an option). I will say that the crates are VERY nice... More are in my future...
These?
http://www.cwcrate.com/
Fermenting 3: Empty (sad)
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter

Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
MadCnty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Marquez View Post
Yes those... My LHBS sells them already assembled for $17.00 each...

Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgcdub View Post
It probably would've been smarter to ask first then do but it's too late for that now...

So I recently soaked my collection of used bottles (woodchuck and Great Lakes) in a mixture of warm water and oxyclean to remove the labels and adhesive (which worked great). When pulling the bottles out of the bucket I noticed that they had a slippery almost soapy feeling to them. Now that they're dry they feel normal.

My question is this: will the oxyclean have left some residue on the bottles that will affect my beer? What is the best way for me to sanitize at this point? I've debated on running them in my dishwasher on high temp with no soap or just soaking them in Star-San. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance from a first batch newbie!
You didn't rinse off the Oxyclean? Dude, it's SOAP... rinse them in clean water.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
bfgcdub
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRausch
Aren't Woodchuck bottles twistoff? Twistoffs don't cap so well, and tend to either break at the neck, or lose pressure with time. If that's all you have be extra careful while capping.
Nope. Woodchuck bottles are capped with a standard cap and require a bottle opener to open. In all likely hood I will probably cap the Great Lakes bottles first to practice on a normal bottle before I start on the woodchuck bottles.

Quick Reply