Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sampling fermenting beer for hydrometer readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
bradical908
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sampling fermenting beer for hydrometer readings

Hey there, it's my first batch and first post.

This may seem like a dumb question, but how does one get beer out of the glass carboy to take hydrometer readings? Heard some people mention "pouring" a little out of the carboy, but that seems kinda difficult.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I suppose you don't have a wine thief. You could always use a turkey baster. Make sure it is properly sanitized. Pull a sample and squirt into a tube (the tube your hydrometer came in works great). Place the hydrometer in the tube and fill until the hydrometer floats. Don't put the sample back in, drink it!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

use one of the two thief's in the first post here

Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
bradical908
Recipes 

Thanks! I'll check out wine thiefs.

A quick aside about sanitization: do you need to re-sanitize this thing every time you take a sample? If so, do you just keep a bucket of this bleach solution around throughout the entire process?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
lestershy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes you should re-sanitize everytime you're going to touch beer. I would personally advise against a bleach solution, because you need to rinse afterwards and you may have bacteria in your water supply. I'd recommend getting yourself some Star San from the home brew store and keeping a gallon jug of sanitizer solution around.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

StarSan FTW!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

I always keep some PBW & star-san solution in gallon jugs in my fermenter stand. Always comes in handy!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys.
I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

And

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

ANd then you drink the sample....don't pour it back in....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I use about 5 feet of tubing for my hydro samples. I can coil the tube into a small sauce pot filled with a scant volume of sanitizer solution (I'm an iodophor man myself). I wipe down the lid/bung of the carboy with rubbing alcohol, remove the bung (placing it in a coffee mug with about an inch of cheapo vodka just to keep things clean), stick in the sanitized tubing, suck a few feet of beer into the tube, clamp the tube, pull it out of the carboy and stick the bung back in. As Revvy said, maybe 15 seconds of exposure time. Then I just unclamp the tubing into my test column. I threw away my auto siphon about a year ago, I just use tubing now because it's so easy to sanitize.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
meteorbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do you suppose i could go about drawing from a glass carboy, but the turkey baster isn't long enough to reach the wort, and the neck of the carboy prevents me from drawing any by tipping it. Shall i just wait my predetermined two weeks and measure when i go to bottle, or just poor some out. Doesn't sound like a good idea to disturb it and the 1" layer of trub. I suppose i could siphon some out with the ole auto siphon if i get desperate

Quick Reply