Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sam adams dark lager for my first "real" brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
russellinireland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sam adams dark lager for my first "real" brew

Hi

So I have now made a bunch of kit brews using the Coopers Real ale and pale ale kits with nice results.

Would now like to step up a gear and try making my own beer!

I really like the Sam Adams dark lager, so wondered if somebody could receommend me a recipe for something similar to this, which is simple enough for a beginner to follow.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a beginner as well but based on my research Lagers are pretty tough. You'll need some serious temp control to brew a lager.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

If you can do a lager, then the recipe should be easy. As was mentioned, though, the fermentation of a lager is finicky. Lagers are fermented cold, but not as cold as fridge temperatures. So, you'd need a way to ferment at 50 degrees. You'd need several packages of yeast (lager yeast) or make a starter for the yeast. After fermentation, you'd need to raise the temperature 10 degrees for about 48 hours, then rack the beer to a carboy and keep it at about 34 degrees for 6-8 weeks. It's not terribly difficult if you have a way to precisely control these temperatures, but you can see that it is often a pain even for very experienced brewers!

Are there any ales you like? Some of the easiest beginner beers are brown ales, like Newcastle for example.

Quick Reply