New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > salt water hydrometer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
houndhome1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default salt water hydrometer

one of my hobbies is a large salt water reef tank. I have a hydrometer to test the salt water gravity. It is very easy to read. My question is could I use the same type for my beer. It should being testing the same thing correct

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

They are not really the same type of hydrometer, I guess you could use it to a certain extent but it is, most likely, inaccurate. A salt water hydrometer measures salinity, amount of salt dissolved in water. An alcohol hydrometer measures specific gravity, amount of sugar to water. Specific gravity readings depend on temperature, however salinity does not depend on temperature, if I remember correctly.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A hydrometer measures fluid density relative to water. What creates that density (sugar, salt, etc) is irrelevant. The problem you may have is that most aquarium hydrometers don't register past about 1.035. If it is a full range hydrometer, it should work fine.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
LykeAFox
Recipes 

I agree with Doolittle, the hydrometer should work as long as it measures high enough SG that you will be brewing. Also, make sure to sanitize it really well... you probably don't want any fishy or salty tasting beer...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Should be fine for checking the final gravity (AKA precision hydrometer), since sea water runs around 1.022. I have a high range hydrometer (0.980-1.170) for OG and a -5 to 5 Brix for FG.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use an aquarium hydro and have since I started brewing. The range is somewhat limited (.0090 to 1.080) but I've never brewed outside the range yet. Another interesting thing... it's calibrated to 70F and not 58F like most brewing hydros. That's actually a benefit.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you guys talking about those cheap plastic 'swing arm' style hydrometers?

when i ran my reef tank I had one. it was wildly inaccurate. i got a hydrometer and found out just how off it was.

coulda been a lemon tho.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Nope, mine is the same in form and function as the homebrew ones... floating glass tube, weighted on the bottom, skinny on top where the scale is.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply