Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
hapifam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast

Hey y'all! I'm new to homebrewing as well as this site. Both totally cool stuff!!

I just started a batch of saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast. I pitched the yeast 42 hours ago and it's still crankin'. It's been fermenting in a room at 80-82 deg. I've read lot's of different things about when to rack w/ this yeast to the secondary fermentor - everything from 2-3 days to a month or more.

My question is this: How do I know when to transfer to the secondary fermentor??? I've read/heard that this yeast takes patience. It just seems that some folks want it to spend more time in the primary vs the secondary fermentor, and I'm a bit confused over the right approach. BTW, OG was about 1.049. I've read that with this yeast, if patient, it can get to a TG of < 1.010.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would wait until your hydrometer samples are constant over several readings. That is the only sure fire way to know it is fermented out.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wait until it's done fermenting. Let it get to your expect FG (within a couple points) and is steady for a while. Then you can just leave it there to clear like many folks on here do, or you can go to secondary. Me, I'd give it another week or so, then a week in secondary, but I'm just anal that way.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
RBlagojevich
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

1. i'd say don't bother with secondary. there's no point unless you're aging it for several months, and instead the beer will benefit from sitting on the yeast cake.

2. that yeast strain tends to slow down and play dead before the beer is really done. the first time I brewed with it, I had bottle bombs. keep the temperature up and make sure it's DONE before you bottle. that yeast likes it hot, up into the 90's even.

3. enjoy, it will be a great beer.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would wait at least 3 weeks with 565. Just give it time. 80+ is a good temp for the yeast, but keep it up there and it will finish out. There's no real need to secondary, but if you want it super clear or something, you can. Just make sure it finishes. Take your hydrometer readings and be sure.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

my experience with this yeast was 4weeks in primary, and swirling the fermenter after 2 weeks to rouse the yeast. No secondary, streight to keg.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 AM   #7
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed with the same yeast on sunday. Fermentation started by Monday morning, with bubbles coming out nicely from the blow-off tube.

The bubbles had all but stopped by Tuesday night (only 2 days) and now I don't see any airlock activity (switched from blow-off to airlock).

My room temp is averaging about 77 degrees...

I'm a little worried that it is stuck. I'll take a first hydrometer reading probably on Friday, and start going from there. I don't know if I can heat it up much more than room temp, I guess i could buy an electric blanket if I have to.

My O.G. was about 1.047 (though I think my reading is light due to partial boiling), so with 65-75% attenuation I'm expecting a FG of around 1.011-1.016 (did I do that right?). If I don't get down to around 1.014 I'm worried about bottle bombs, so I might add in some dry yeast to be safe... we'll see.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
hoppheadIPA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed a saison with this about 2 months ago. SG was 1.058 and it ended at 1.012. It was in primary for 28 days @ 78-82 degrees. Then racked to secondary for 14 days for clearing purposes. After it fermented, I didn't conrol the temp so much. I let it drop to room temp which was 74-76 degrees. I just bottled it last week and it tasted pretty damn good.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just took my first hyrdro reading 6 days after brewing. It's down to 1.014-1.015, with an OG measured at 1.047 (though it was partial boil, so I'm guessing OG was actually higher).

So despite the fact that fermentation seemed to die out really fast (only about 2 days), it looks like it didn't get stuck. Phew. I'll wait 2 more weeks and bottle.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That might wanna go down further than that. Saison's should ferment out quite dry. I'd give it a swirl, keep it warm and check it in a week and see if it's dropped further.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply