Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
hapifam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9
Default Saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast

Hey y'all! I'm new to homebrewing as well as this site. Both totally cool stuff!!

I just started a batch of saison w/ WLP 565 Saison I yeast. I pitched the yeast 42 hours ago and it's still crankin'. It's been fermenting in a room at 80-82 deg. I've read lot's of different things about when to rack w/ this yeast to the secondary fermentor - everything from 2-3 days to a month or more.

My question is this: How do I know when to transfer to the secondary fermentor??? I've read/heard that this yeast takes patience. It just seems that some folks want it to spend more time in the primary vs the secondary fermentor, and I'm a bit confused over the right approach. BTW, OG was about 1.049. I've read that with this yeast, if patient, it can get to a TG of < 1.010.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help...

__________________
hapifam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Chello
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 892
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I would wait until your hydrometer samples are constant over several readings. That is the only sure fire way to know it is fermented out.

__________________

"Retail is for suckers."

Chello is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,240
Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Wait until it's done fermenting. Let it get to your expect FG (within a couple points) and is steady for a while. Then you can just leave it there to clear like many folks on here do, or you can go to secondary. Me, I'd give it another week or so, then a week in secondary, but I'm just anal that way.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
RBlagojevich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 120
Likes Given: 5

Default

1. i'd say don't bother with secondary. there's no point unless you're aging it for several months, and instead the beer will benefit from sitting on the yeast cake.

2. that yeast strain tends to slow down and play dead before the beer is really done. the first time I brewed with it, I had bottle bombs. keep the temperature up and make sure it's DONE before you bottle. that yeast likes it hot, up into the 90's even.

3. enjoy, it will be a great beer.

__________________
RBlagojevich is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I would wait at least 3 weeks with 565. Just give it time. 80+ is a good temp for the yeast, but keep it up there and it will finish out. There's no real need to secondary, but if you want it super clear or something, you can. Just make sure it finishes. Take your hydrometer readings and be sure.

__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,721
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

my experience with this yeast was 4weeks in primary, and swirling the fermenter after 2 weeks to rouse the yeast. No secondary, streight to keg.

__________________
Arkador is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 AM   #7
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 695
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I brewed with the same yeast on sunday. Fermentation started by Monday morning, with bubbles coming out nicely from the blow-off tube.

The bubbles had all but stopped by Tuesday night (only 2 days) and now I don't see any airlock activity (switched from blow-off to airlock).

My room temp is averaging about 77 degrees...

I'm a little worried that it is stuck. I'll take a first hydrometer reading probably on Friday, and start going from there. I don't know if I can heat it up much more than room temp, I guess i could buy an electric blanket if I have to.

My O.G. was about 1.047 (though I think my reading is light due to partial boiling), so with 65-75% attenuation I'm expecting a FG of around 1.011-1.016 (did I do that right?). If I don't get down to around 1.014 I'm worried about bottle bombs, so I might add in some dry yeast to be safe... we'll see.

__________________
jigidyjim is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
hoppheadIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 192
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I brewed a saison with this about 2 months ago. SG was 1.058 and it ended at 1.012. It was in primary for 28 days @ 78-82 degrees. Then racked to secondary for 14 days for clearing purposes. After it fermented, I didn't conrol the temp so much. I let it drop to room temp which was 74-76 degrees. I just bottled it last week and it tasted pretty damn good.

__________________
hoppheadIPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 695
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Just took my first hyrdro reading 6 days after brewing. It's down to 1.014-1.015, with an OG measured at 1.047 (though it was partial boil, so I'm guessing OG was actually higher).

So despite the fact that fermentation seemed to die out really fast (only about 2 days), it looks like it didn't get stuck. Phew. I'll wait 2 more weeks and bottle.

__________________
jigidyjim is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,240
Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

That might wanna go down further than that. Saison's should ferment out quite dry. I'd give it a swirl, keep it warm and check it in a week and see if it's dropped further.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saison Troubadour (first Saison) steelerguy Recipes/Ingredients 2 03-12-2010 02:11 PM
Favorite Saison Yeast Beerrific Recipes/Ingredients 2 07-28-2009 03:02 PM
Dry yeast for Saison? springer Recipes/Ingredients 14 10-31-2008 04:06 PM
Fermenting a Saison and Dry Yeast briandickens All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 09-16-2008 11:51 AM
Saison yeast html034 General Techniques 8 02-22-2008 03:22 PM