Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
dcott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Saison

I've never brewed (or had) a saison before, so I decided now was a good time.
Two days ago I brewed and it's been vigorously fermenting since.

I pitched at 65F, however it quickly escalated to 78F. I know saisons can (and are supposed to) ferment at higher temps, however I'm getting a bubblegummy, almost juicyfruit aroma from the airlock. Is this a good or a bad thing for a saison.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (sorry if this is already a topic, I didn't see one on search).

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's a great thing. Some yeasts will take better to the higher temperatures than others. I used the farmhouse yeast from Wyeast b/c I couldn't get my temperatures very high in the basement. The Saison yeast from Wyeast will be great with the high temperatures. Also, the high temperature will let you get a higher attenuation which is an important part of the style.
You should head over to Brasserie Beck (in DC) and try a Saison. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't worry so much about it. At this point, even if you have too much ester and phenolic action going on, there is nothing you can do really. Just let it ride out, and in a month or so see how it turned out. Saisons can be ramped up quite high, in fact a Saison reminds me of a Winter Warmer beer because there is a lot you can get away with and still classify it as a Saison. Doesn't mean it will be great (there is no guarantees of that), but you shouldn't worry either. Let time work on it and see what becomes of it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I haven't researched Saison style brews at all, but I bought one and drank it a couple of days ago. It seemed very much like a Belgian style to me. Very nice. Had a crisp edginess, sour overtones, and champagne-like carbonation.

I don't really have a good way to ferment above 66 degrees, since that is the temperature of my storage room where my ales ferment. Is higher fermentation temperature a requirement for a Saison? I guess I could ferment inside the house where the temp stays around 74 this time of year (at least for another month), but I don't really like having a 14 gallon conical sitting in the corner of my living room.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I pitch saisons arround 65 and then I let them free climb until they max out. I will push the temps to 90 degrees if I can. Saison yeast will work very well in that range and you should be able to get a low final gravity for a nice, dry finish.

In my opinion, 78 is still a little low but if you keep it there (which is fine) I would give it more time to finish. Saison yeasts can take their sweet time.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about it. At this point, even if you have too much ester and phenolic action going on, there is nothing you can do really.
Saisons benefit from the esters produced. This is absolutely a good thing.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheH2 View Post
It's a great thing. Some yeasts will take better to the higher temperatures than others. I used the farmhouse yeast from Wyeast b/c I couldn't get my temperatures very high in the basement. The Saison yeast from Wyeast will be great with the high temperatures. Also, the high temperature will let you get a higher attenuation which is an important part of the style.
You should head over to Brasserie Beck (in DC) and try a Saison. I'm sure you'll enjoy.
How did your saison come out with that strain. I just transferred mine to secondary after 6 weeks in the primary (d'oh, got busy) and it smelled very strongly of bubble-gum and apple juice.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
How did your saison come out with that strain. I just transferred mine to secondary after 6 weeks in the primary (d'oh, got busy) and it smelled very strongly of bubble-gum and apple juice.
Six weeks in primary isn't bad at all.

How much sugar did you put in there? The apple juice smell would indicate a lot of sugar in the mix.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
Still in primary, it is only at 4 weeks. I'll probably let it sit another week or two and transfer to secondary for a couple months. My lhbs recommended this one (strand of yeast) after I told him my concern of not being able to get the temperature up enough.

I haven't even checked a gravity reading, since OG of course, so I don't even know what attenuation I have.

Reason: clarification

Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Saisons benefit from the esters produced. This is absolutely a good thing.

Depends.

I wasn't too happy with the 3748 (or whatever the Wyeast strain is) when I let it ramp up into the 80's. I got a very odd phenolic that I can't really put my finger on...thankfully it is dissipating. At any rate the amount of Ester production is once again at the discretion of the brewer.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply