Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saflager S-23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #61
dubicus360
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have an octoberfest clone that's 11 days in and still going. Just tasted it today no butter that I could tell. First time with s-23 dry yeast. Almost fully fermented according to the gravity. 1.020. It might be too late for a rest anyway. There was still plenty of yeast clumps on the surface. I'll let it go a little longer and then set it to lager.

"Ah beer, the cause and solution to all of life's problems." Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #62
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubicus360
I have an octoberfest clone that's 11 days in and still going. Just tasted it today no butter that I could tell. First time with s-23 dry yeast. Almost fully fermented according to the gravity. 1.020. It might be too late for a rest anyway. There was still plenty of yeast clumps on the surface. I'll let it go a little longer and then set it to lager.
You might want to do the rest yet. That could or should ferment out more 1.020 is fairly high FG

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #63
dubicus360
Recipes 

I've read in posts I should rest around 2/3 of the way through my primary. I've also heard it should be around 80% of the way thru. According to the recipe my fg should be 1.016, with an og of 1.056. I found my actually og was 1.058. Anyways that means I'm already just over 90% thru my primary. Too late? I've also heard to rest then rack and vice versa. Seemed to be good reasons for both.

"Ah beer, the cause and solution to all of life's problems." Homer Simpson

Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #64
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I don't believe it's too late. Moving it in right before it finishes is perfect

Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #65
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So far so good with the Lagering. Sediment has formed at the bottom, for some reason the beer almost looks darker now. But it's very clear. You could see a layer of darker clean beer working its way down the carboy over time. I will post a pic, but when I took a gravity reading the beer is super clean, and tastes great. I am guessing this is because of the particles etc falling out of suspension? I am cold crashing all my beer as much as I can if this is the case for Ales too. Only good thing about Canada is my garage will be below 10C for 7 months of the year. I built a Lagering cabinet... no need for a fridge here. Im thinking winter will be my Lager season and summer will be my Ale season.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #66
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

6 weeks later and it's still Lagering at 2C. I have kegs coming today and it will get racked to kegs and be one of the first beers on my new taps. The other is a Hefe. The beer is super super clear now and tastes smooth on the pallet with just a bit of Hallertau. This yeast rocks.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Quick Reply