Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saflager S-23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think OP probably under pitched as well. You need a ton of yeast at those low temps to avoid the lag

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is fantastic information. I am about to use this exact same yeast in a Pilsner.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
I have noticed this yeast sucks b^%#s. It starts slow and tastes like a pina-colada no matter what I did..

Would be interested to hear how your experience turns out.
I used it on this same beer before and it was killer! I even let primary go for a week at about 65 (so the beer got into the 70's for sure), before putting in the 50s for lagering. The beer was crystal clear and delicious. I wanted a crisp, hoppy lager. This yeast nailed it.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #24
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
I can't imagine what would have caused that. I have been using S23 since it was very first introduced in '98 or '99. Prior to that I used WYeast 2308. I made the switch due to the ease of use in a commercial setting. Since brewing schedules in a pub are directly dependent upon over the bar business, it can sometimes be a little difficult knowing EXACTLY when a tank will be empty, so ordering massive amounts of yeast from WYeast or White Labs could be difficult.

ANYWAY, I have used this yeast both at home and in a pub, fermenting it between 35F and as high at times as 65F (when ambient temp in the house got too high), I have had ZERO issue with any kind of off flavors. Resulting beers have been every bit as clean as 2308... slightly different palate, but every bit as good. I found 2308 to give a soft palate with a slight, pleasant yeastiness to it, not intense at all, but present... S23 gives me a very round maltiness. I have made these styles with S23; Czech Pilsner, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Schwarzbier, Doppelbock (maybe one or two others). Never once an issue with off flavors. So, my question is, what are people doing to make the off flavors happen?
Great question that I have to ask myself all the time (since I'm pretty new to HB). I've done two things: changed to distilled water and changed sanitizer (from Iodophor to Starsan). We'll see what works!

But for the yeast I think it is critical to stay within the recommended temperature range until frementation slows way down. The yeast is designed to do its best work in those temps, so let it.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am not a fan of this yeast at all. I prefer to use WLP-830 for my lagers. This yeast can work well one time and the next gives crap.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I am not a fan of this yeast at all. I prefer to use Wy-830 for my lagers. This yeast can work well one time and the next gives crap.
I thought you could not reuse dry yeast.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You can reuse dry yeast. Its not dry anymore after your first pitch. I wasn't reusing it persay though. I used it 3 times and had three different results with 3 different packets.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGEsq

I used it on this same beer before and it was killer! I even let primary go for a week at about 65 (so the beer got into the 70's for sure), before putting in the 50s for lagering. The beer was crystal clear and delicious. I wanted a crisp, hoppy lager. This yeast nailed it.
I've tasted a couple different Oktoberfest brewed from the same exact kit that used this yeast. The one I brewed was fermented at 50, mu brother in laws at 65. They were completely different beers when finished. His was a big fruit/ester bomb. Mine
Was more clean and lager like

To the OP, if you want lager type beer ferment in the low 50's. It will not be the same if you try it in the 60s

Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGEsq View Post
Great question that I have to ask myself all the time (since I'm pretty new to HB). I've done two things: changed to distilled water and changed sanitizer (from Iodophor to Starsan). We'll see what works!

But for the yeast I think it is critical to stay within the recommended temperature range until frementation slows way down. The yeast is designed to do its best work in those temps, so let it.
Remember, yeast isn't "designed", it is a living organism. Frankly, I don't know how Fermentis came up with the idea that it created esters when fermented cold. The vast majority of the time I have used this yeast, I fermented it around 45... and as I said have gone as low as 35 for for the bulk of fermentation. It made a clean beer every time. I have yet to taste anyone else's beer that was screwed up. I seriously do not know what people are doing to it that makes it act funny. I am actually tempted to experiment and TRY to get it to make "fruit punch" for me.

Maybe the key is to ramp it down slowly from pitching temp to cold, I don't know. Logically, saying that a yeast ferments cleaner at warm temps than cold simply doesn't make sense. Not to say that it can't be clean warm, but realistically it should be cleaner cold. Ehh, whatever... it does exactly what I need it to do, using the methods I use, both at home and in a production setting, why bother futzing with it?

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
This yeast can work well one time and the next gives crap.
Another odd statement that I son't understand, I have gone several generations with S23 in a commercial setting (where consistency is paramount) and had fantastic results.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply