Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Saflager S-23

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
DaveGEsq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What does diacetyl taste like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

butter/butterscotch

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

It's been 26 hours and we have bubbling (about 40 secs apart)! The kreusen is starting to build. Gentlemen, we have lift off! I'm going to let it go a couple days and move it back to slightly colder storage. Ps, current temp is 55.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There you go!!
I've been there too, Had some dry yeast once
take all most 3 days before it started fermenting.

Hope it comes out good.

Tim

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
DaveGEsq
Recipes 

I've never used liquid yeast. But I think that's my next challenge. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGEsq View Post
Wow! 30's? And the yeast performs? The package recommends 51-59, so i was trying to keep it in there. I will give it 36 hours (thanks dr!) and see what she does!
In a commercial setting I have ramped S23 down from my initial ferm temp of 55F to 35F (pitched at 65 and brought to 55 when activity started), over the course of four days. It continued to work well at that point. This was a doppelbock that was around 18Plato... grain bill was 75/25 Munich 10 to 2 row pale. once the ferment was complete (about 2 1/2 weeks IIRC) I dropped it further to 33F and there it stayed for 8 weeks. (No diacetyl rest, never have used it) Resulting beer was very clean and smooth... I usually would start pitch it at 65, take it to 55 with activity and bring it down to 45 to finish with other beers.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGEsq View Post
Wow! 30's? And the yeast performs? The package recommends 51-59, so i was trying to keep it in there. I will give it 36 hours (thanks dr!) and see what she does!
somebody beat me to it but the drop in temp to the 30's is after your beer is done fermenting.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
somebody beat me to it but the drop in temp to the 30's is after your beer is done fermenting.
May not have been clear in my post, but I had active ferment at 35F... Pitched at 65, went to 55 when ferm started, then began ramping down 5 degrees per day until I reached 35F. Half the active fermentation was done at 35F. Once activity had ceased (aprox 2 1/2 weeks in) I dropped it further to 33F.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #19
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have noticed this yeast sucks b^%#s. It starts slow and tastes like a pina-colada no matter what I did..

Would be interested to hear how your experience turns out.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
I have noticed this yeast sucks b^%#s. It starts slow and tastes like a pina-colada no matter what I did..

Would be interested to hear how your experience turns out.
I can't imagine what would have caused that. I have been using S23 since it was very first introduced in '98 or '99. Prior to that I used WYeast 2308. I made the switch due to the ease of use in a commercial setting. Since brewing schedules in a pub are directly dependent upon over the bar business, it can sometimes be a little difficult knowing EXACTLY when a tank will be empty, so ordering massive amounts of yeast from WYeast or White Labs could be difficult.

ANYWAY, I have used this yeast both at home and in a pub, fermenting it between 35F and as high at times as 65F (when ambient temp in the house got too high), I have had ZERO issue with any kind of off flavors. Resulting beers have been every bit as clean as 2308... slightly different palate, but every bit as good. I found 2308 to give a soft palate with a slight, pleasant yeastiness to it, not intense at all, but present... S23 gives me a very round maltiness. I have made these styles with S23; Czech Pilsner, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Schwarzbier, Doppelbock (maybe one or two others). Never once an issue with off flavors. So, my question is, what are people doing to make the off flavors happen?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS