Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Safety tips for brewing outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Safety tips for brewing outdoors

I'm debating a move to brewing outside and I'm a bit concerned over safety. I'd have to pick up burner of some kind and I've seen the TV specials about turkey fryer disasters, so that's a concern. Plus I don't have plans to build an elaborate table or work bench so the transfer of hot liquid from one container to another is also a concern.

Any care to share some tips for brewing safely outside? Maybe some things I should look to purchase first just to be safe? Should it be inside an open garage or with no roof over head? Anything really.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A fire extinguisher is your best unitasker.

The difference between frying a turkey and brewing beer is a pot of boiling oil. If you are smart about it, brewing outdoors is fine.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 903 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Think about it this way, any danger you have brewing outside would be twice as bad if it happened inside. Turkey fryers are only dangerous when you're frying a turkey. Don't wear shorts and sandels when working with 5 gallons of boiling anything. Get some nice insulated rubber coated gloves. Wear safety glasses.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Think about it this way, any danger you have brewing outside would be twice as bad if it happened inside. Turkey fryers are only dangerous when you're frying a turkey. Don't wear shorts and sandels when working with 5 gallons of boiling anything. Get some nice insulated rubber coated gloves. Wear safety glasses.
Now the gloves wasn't something I had considered. Thanks for that.

This might sound stupid but not wearing shorts is a tough one. Here in TX it's hot more often than not so summer brewing in jeans might be like exercise. I agree it's safer though. I'm wondering if maybe I should reconsider until I can devise a setup that allows for easy transfer of hot liquids.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Just to reiterate what has been said, but the real danger with turkey fryer setups is that the 350+ degree oil can quickly boil over when adding a frozen turkey, which then catches fire and creates a fireball that can burn down your house.

When you're talking about beer you're boiling water, which if it boils over will just make a mess on the floor and possibly put out your fire.

As far as safety equipment it's up to you. I've done one of my boils outside in shorts and flip flops and only a few towels to grab the hot handles of the pot. Stupid? You bet. I wouldn't recommend it, but if the only thing stopping you from brewing outside is a pair of jeans vs. shorts, well, you can just make sure you're careful and there shouldn't be any problems. Boiling liquid landing on jeans and sticking to your skin isn't much better than boiling liquid landing directly on your skin. Just be careful and take as many precautions as you can

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Trevor57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I take the same precautions as I do when grilling. I make sure to keep one hand cold at all times with a beer.

Acronyms are FS

00p Likes This 
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
ic3scrap3r
Recipes 

I wear shorts here in Mississippi when I brew outdoors. I do make sure I have on tennis shoes though rather than bare feet or flip flops. I had the same thought about jeans holding all the hot liquid next to my skin IF there was a spill and opted for shorts.

The best thing I can say is to make sure the burner is stable. If it is rocking or requires some sort of chock under one leg to hold it level, I'd fix that prior to the boil.

Other than that, brew on and have some fun!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Be careful where water and spills end up so you don't make a slick icy place in the driveway.

*notices OP's location*

Never mind. Carry on.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just be smart and you shouldn't have issues. I begin cooling wort the second the boil ends. I don't even remove it from the burner, even though the cast iron may still be holding some heat from the burner.

Don't think you can watch a 1 year old and brew at the same time.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
mugglesport
Recipes 

Its not any more dangerous than grilling (probably safer, to be honest). I've brewed in TX with shorts and close-toed shoes and been fine. Just don't stand right up against the kettle or with your feet underneath it and you'll be fine. An added plus is a boil-over can be cleaned up with a hose. I personally have been brewing in my garage (WITH THE DOORS OPEN) and its great (good lighting if the brewing goes past sundown, shady, stereo hook up possible, ability to fart and tell dirty jokes without my wife getting mad, etc.) In the summer it would get too hot for that, so I might move to the driveway.

As for needing a table, I just do everything on the ground and use a small table to hold my glass of beer & ingredients.

Quick Reply