Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Safe temperature range?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
morganm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Safe temperature range?

Hello,

Ive brewed a few batches of ales recently and regardless where I store the carboys, it gets pretty warm. I live in Southern California. It's pretty warm, especially lately and it's getting warmer. Unless I crank up the AC all day, i cant get my house much lower than 75. The thermometers on my carboys are reading around 73-74 degrees and I just caught it at 76 degrees.

I know it should be kept around 70. Are my temps too high?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would say they are to high. You may have to go with a water and ice bath to lower the temp. Try to ferment in the mid 60's. Maybe something like this will help >> http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60288

Gary

Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Definitely too high for most yeasts. You need some form of active cooling, be it ice or an evaporator.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
Bosh
Recipes 

Or get some yeast that deals better with high temps (Belgian).

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
9/9
Collembola!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
I would say they are to high. You may have to go with a water and ice bath to lower the temp. Try to ferment in the mid 60's. Maybe something like this will help >> http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60288

I did one of these things and it is working great for me.

Primary: empty
Secondary: AHB Dry Mead (17)
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein (15), Vienna - Cascade SMaSH (19)
Drinking:MO-Amarillo SMaSH (14), BierMucher's Black Pearl Porter (13), Munich-NB SMaSH (16), Lemon Summer Blonde (18)
Planning: Belgian Brown (20)

Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used to have troubles with fermentations getting too warm as well. A cooler with water and some frozen water bottles help keep your carboy cool. I also throw a few heavy blankets over the top and I can maintain ~65deg with 80deg ambient temps.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
ljsbeer
Recipes 

I built a son of fermentation chiller and it works great. I built mine to hold two carboys side by side. I ferment my ales at 64 deg. and once the beer stableizes at this temp the fan hardly runs. I switch frozen water bottles every other day and there's still ice in the bottles that I pull out. Another benefit is that you don't have to worry about light affecting your beer.

Quick Reply