Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Safe Starsan storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
CdrDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Safe Starsan storage

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I didn't find anything on it this evening.

So, I just boiled my 2nd kit ever, a Caribou Slobber , and had a 5 gallon bottling bucket with Starsan as my prep bucket. Now that I'm done with this kit, and have another coming in tomorrow (a NB Red Brick Warmer holiday ale), I realize that the 5g of Starsan is sparkly clean.

So, how long can I leave it (and other items like my auto siphon etc) in contact with Starsan without any worries? Will it damage anything, to include my bucket, after a certain amount of time? I'm not trying to be cheap with my HB hobby, but I really don't want to waste a good product!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
TonyG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I store it mine in a 5 gallon food grade bucket from lowes, It will last quite some time, and I usually only change mine when it is looking overly cloudy. It will last longer if mixed with distilled water instead of tap water. Really to judge longevity, you would need to measure the pH of the mix to see if it is the the proper range.
I wouldn't store my auto siphon/tubing/other brewing equipment in it, just sanitize as needed, the starsan will turn your siphon hose cloudy if stored in it. Unless you have a need for 5g, you can easily get by with 2.5 gallon batches, or less. Some people just mix up enough to fill a spray bottle and give things a quick spritz as needed.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3727 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Not long.

Maybe a day or two is OK, but the more stuff you put in that bucket the less effective it becomes. I've never reused starsan though...

You need to get a vinator and associated bottling tree, and a spray bottle. The vinator is a cool gadget that you can get online or at your LHBS. The spraybottle is something you can pick up at Home Depot. With these things, you can stretch a bottle of Starsan for at least a year or two. You never "reuse" the starsan mix.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Some people just mix up enough to fill a spray bottle and give things a quick spritz as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You need to get a vinator and associated bottling tree, and a spray bottle. The vinator is a cool gadget that you can get online or at your LHBS. The spraybottle is something you can pick up at Home Depot.
+1 on the spray bottle. In the past I've been using a bucket with 2.5G of star san. It's a HUGE waste. I think I'll be getting a vinator before I bottle my next batch for sure. I spray the bottom rack in the dishwasher to use as a bottling tree The spray bottle is a GREAT tool on brew day. No need to mix large amounts of star san with one.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: House APA, Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Maple Pecan Porter, House Amber Ale, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Well, I have a 5 gallon Homer bucket that has been stored in the garage for 3 months. I've re-used it on 4 batches. It is cloudy, but it still foams up. I haven't had any infections (yet).

Now you have me worried.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
CdrDave
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome, thanks. Well, I pulled my auto siphon and items from the bucket but left the starsan in the bottling bucket. I should get my next ingredient kit tomorrow and do the boil in the next few days. It's good to know I'm not wasting some good product.

I can't believe I didn't discover home brewing years ago!

I need a kegging setup now lol!!!

Primary #1: Red Brick Warmer Holiday Ale
Primary #2: Red Brick Warmer Holiday Ale
On Tap: Caribou Slobber

Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In my opinion using 1/2oz of star san per brew day is way cheaper than a ruined batch of beer. One less thing to worry about. It basically less than $.50 per use for a 32oz container.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes.. but you have to figure in the RO or Distilled Water.. I guess if it's a one time use.. tap works fine. But StarSan, as TonyG mentioned.. will last and last and… last as long as the pH is where it should be. Be sure to just use it for sanitizing.. don't put dirty stuff in it.. and it will last and…… Also, as mentioned above, 2.5 gal is way more than enough.. this stuff only has to be in contact for about 20 seconds.. swishing and spraying is all you need.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Cerebus06
Recipes 

Interesting. I've been somewhat paranoid about contamination, so I've been using 2oz of Starsan per batch in a 5 gallon bucket to sanitize (and then use that bucket for the fermenter after pouring the water/Starsan mix into a smaller bucket). I do the same thing on bottling day, and drop the bottles into the bucket a few at a time for a few minutes. Based on what I'm reading here, I'd venture to suggest that's a bit of overkill? lol

So if I'm understanding right, all I really need to do is use a spray bottle on everything that needs to be sanitized, and that will take care of sanitizing? Does this include the bucket(s)?

Based on that question, I checked out a vinator at this link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/v...le-rinser.html

If the guy using it hadn't sanitized the bottle tree, wouldn't that negate the vinator sanitation?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus06
Interesting. I've been somewhat paranoid about contamination, so I've been using 2oz of Starsan per batch in a 5 gallon bucket to sanitize (and then use that bucket for the fermenter after pouring the water/Starsan mix into a smaller bucket). I do the same thing on bottling day, and drop the bottles into the bucket a few at a time for a few minutes. Based on what I'm reading here, I'd venture to suggest that's a bit of overkill? lol So if I'm understanding right, all I really need to do is use a spray bottle on everything that needs to be sanitized, and that will take care of sanitizing? Does this include the bucket(s)? Based on that question, I checked out a vinator at this link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/v...le-rinser.html If the guy using it hadn't sanitized the bottle tree, wouldn't that negate the vinator sanitation?
Spray the bottling tree with a spray bottle or just allow the Starsan dripping from the bottles to sanitise it . I make mine with RO water, about 4 litres at a time and that will do me for about 8 months or 4~5 brews. The only reason it runs out is spillage etc

Quick Reply