Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it safe to drink my beer before priming/bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
hardpack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it safe to drink my beer before priming/bottling?

So it seems that my first batch has finished fermenting, but I'm going to give it another three days before formally bottling.

I think it's finished fermenting because the SG has read 1.021 three days apart. But, again, I'll give it more time.

Anyways, while testing the SG, I poured some beer into a tube to get the hydrometer readings. And I tasted it. And it's not bad.

Not wanting to waste beer, could I just drink the beer in the tube? Is it safe? Am I weird to think it's not so bad being warm and uncarbonated?

P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your fine. It's just flat beer.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, you should sample your beer through every phase of the brewing process

Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Not only do I drink the samples after fermentation, I also drink them before and during! It's kind of neat to see the way the beer changes, and even though it changes aLOT, with experience you can kind of get a glimpse of what the finished beer will be. I sampled my freshly made wort today, to see how the bitterness was. I realize it'll change- but I have done this enough times to almost know what it will change into!

Besides, after fermentation, it's BEER! You have to drink it- to pour it out would be wasting beer!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Of course you are safe..though sometimes it taste like crap at that stage, but it can't hurt you...Do yourself a BIG favor, and don't be in a rush to bottle it...Let it sit in the fermenter for at least another week, preferably another 2-3...After the beer is done fermenting, the yeasts aren't done doing their job...

During fermentation the yeastiebeasties throw off a lot of gunk, while converting the sugar to alcohol...when there is no more sugar, but before they go to sleep, they clean up after themselves...consuming all the byproducts of fermentation that can lead to off flavors...

If you let them do that, your beer will be 10 times better than if you bottle it in a couple days...Although I know you are impatient, it being your first beer and all...but if you wait at least a week, you won't be sorry...If you wait a month you will be even happier...but it being your first beer at least another week...

I leave mine in primary for a month...I used to secondary and use the 1-2-3 method...But my beer became incredible when I started leaving it alone for 3-4 weeks...and then letting it carb and condition for at least 3 weeks @ 70 degrees in the bottle.

I know it is hard, but patience is a virtue in brewing!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 113 Posts

you're definitely weird

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
hardpack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
you're definitely weird
I'm so weird, I'm sitting here now, tasting my flat beer, thinking, can I just bottle this now without priming? Don't you think that this is how people drank beer in the old days? Is it how they used to drink beer in the old days?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
hardpack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you let them do that, your beer will be 10 times better than if you bottle it in a couple days...Although I know you are impatient, it being your first beer and all...but if you wait at least a week, you won't be sorry...If you wait a month you will be even happier...but it being your first beer at least another week...
OK, I'll take your advice, Revvy. I'll wait one week, then I'm going away for a week, so when I come back it'll be two, and *then* I'll start my bottling. Patience is a virtue, but virtues are no fun...

P

Old 08-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpack View Post
I'm so weird, I'm sitting here now, tasting my flat beer, thinking, can I just bottle this now without priming? Don't you think that this is how people drank beer in the old days? Is it how they used to drink beer in the old days?
it may be tasty, but it's much better cold with carbonation. i've definitely drank my share of warm, flat beers, but i wouldn't waste this one.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpack View Post
OK, I'll take your advice, Revvy. I'll wait one week, then I'm going away for a week, so when I come back it'll be two, and *then* I'll start my bottling. Patience is a virtue, but virtues are no fun...

P
I know, grasshoppa...Guess what, in a couple brews your pipleine will be so full that you won't be able to keep track, and you will not have to wait for a beer to be ready, because you while one is bottle conditioning, one is fermenting, one is in secondary becasue you dry hopped it, and you are drinking two others.

When you brew or bottle, you will be actually drinking your own homebrew at the same time!

The first cut is always the deepest....

P.S. If you want to read about what happens when you let your beer really sit for awhile, lemme tell you a story...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply