Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Safale US-05 fruity aroma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
HBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Safale US-05 fruity aroma

I was about to post here noting that I was concerned how my last batch that I just moved to the secondary had a fruity odor. I was worried that it might have an infection so I tasted the batch and it tasted fine.

Today, I looked up the characteristics of the Safale US-05 that I used, and see clearly from the web-descriptions that it produces fruity/estery tone during fermentation.

I am not so sure I like the fruity notes it produces-- but this seems to be one of the more popular yeasts out there. Does the fruity tones mellow out as the beer ages?

Fermenter 1: redFLYER (IRISH RED)
Fermenter 2: plainJANE (Summer brew)
Keg 1: redFLYER (IRISH RED)
Keg 2: WHER DID IT GOO?
Keg 3: ALL GONE-- oops!
Gallons under my belt since starting this hobby? 200

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
HOPCousin
Recipes 

Assuming your fermentation temperature was in a reasonable range not higher than low 70's than you should be fine. Generally comes out nice and clean like any west coast style IPA you've had. I've used it 20 or so times and learned to rehydrate if your not using a started in order to avoid off flavors. If you have a stir plate and can do a starter than even better.
Cheers

Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

HBC, at what temp did you ferment? Lower fermentation temperatures seem to keep the esters from doing anything too crazy, plus a little bottle conditioning tones it down too. That's been my experience.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC View Post
I was about to post here noting that I was concerned how my last batch that I just moved to the secondary had a fruity odor. I was worried that it might have an infection so I tasted the batch and it tasted fine.

Today, I looked up the characteristics of the Safale US-05 that I used, and see clearly from the web-descriptions that it produces fruity/estery tone during fermentation.

I am not so sure I like the fruity notes it produces-- but this seems to be one of the more popular yeasts out there. Does the fruity tones mellow out as the beer ages?
I personally ran into this with an amber I made. I didn't have time to do a starter with wlp001. There was definitely a slight fruity note and I controlled it at 64 degrees. It wasn't over the top and actually worked well in the amber, but it was there.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
HBC
Recipes 

I was solid in the 64-66 range with this batch. I think the taste itself rules out most else.

I agree with the comment about it not being over the top, but definitely there.. I think that for a summer ale, the fruity tone would be welcomed. I suppose we need to keep going through the list of yeasts and learning the characteristics of each yeast.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I was solid in the 64-66 range with this batch. I think the taste itself rules out most else.

I agree with the comment about it not being over the top, but definitely there.. I think that for a summer ale, the fruity tone would be welcomed. I suppose we need to keep going through the list of yeasts and learning the characteristics of each yeast.
For sure. I brew 10 gallon batches so maybe in my next pale ale I'll use wlp001 in one and saf-05 in the other, with a clean hop and see how it turns out.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:

Agreed, more is good when it comes to yeast knowledge. Also I think you'll notice the fruity flavor dissipates quite a bit during bottle conditioning.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 21

WLP001, S-05, and Wyeast 1056 are all the exact same strain of yeast, just presented differently. Assuming the same pitch rate and temperature, they would perform identically.

I use S-05 frequently, and typically ferment it closer to 58F, and find that it is very neutral at that temp.

If you are fermenting in the 64-66 range, you are really fermenting closer to 67-76 with the exothermic heat from the yeast, so you'd expect some ester production. Cooler is always cleaner. If you want neutral from any Chico yeast, try it closer to 58F.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
HBC
Recipes 

Ahh.. That would explain a hint of the estery aroma with my near 70's temps (if estery is even a real word-- it is today). I suppose it is probably best suited for a lager.

What yeast should I try next? I want something that can ferment well in the room temp range of 65-70 degrees without ester or fruit tones. I like nutty flavors, and mellow woody tones as well.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

All sorts of opinions on this that I have read, some claim peachy fruity tones at lower temps and better more neutral results at around 68, I have been pleased fermenting 05 a bit warmer, YMMV but also a tasting early in the process will be different than a properly aged brew.

The odd thing is that this is somewhat couterintuitive, S04 yeast will throw esters at higher temps and be more neutral around 60, yet some claim 05 does very well in the higher 60's rather than the low 60's.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply