Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > safale 04 question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Corkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

Default safale 04 question

hey, have you guys had much experience with safale 04?

I've only ever used safale 05 but I bought an extract kit from AHS for an ESB and it came with 04.

I did everything right, but noticed lack of fermentation activity after only 2 days, no biggie says I..... I waited a week and a half and started my hydro readings which have been consistent. Just wondering if a fast full fermentation is normal for 04?

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 19

2 days is very fast. At what temp did you ferment at, and what were your OG and FG?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Corkster
Recipes 

I thought that was pretty fast as well.

I kept the temp at or close to 65 ambient air temp.... As for original gravity, I was unfortunately unable to locate my hydrometer on brewday...(I had stuck it in a different box that didn't contain my brew stuff....silly me) though it was supposed to be a 1.041 O.G. according to the kit instructions. I have remained at a consistent 1.02 since I started my readings...... seems a bit high still to me. That would only be about 2.75% abv when it's supposed to be coming in around a 3.9%

I already did the whole swirl the carboy bit a week ago or so and that did not seem to do anything...

Well, I'll be darned...deductive reasoning has made me think I have my first stuck fermentation! Yay!!

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My experience is that 04 has a less active fermentation than 05. Although, sticking at 020 for a week is not something that I have experienced w/ 04.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

i am brewing a mild with 04 and she took off right away within 2 hours or so. I started fermentation about 62-64. After 7 days it was still plugging away. Did you aerate it sufficiently?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Corkster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeBrewGuy View Post
i am brewing a mild with 04 and she took off right away within 2 hours or so. I started fermentation about 62-64. After 7 days it was still plugging away. Did you aerate it sufficiently?

Well I certainly thought I did. I did three batches that day (all different) and the other two had different yeast.. one was an 05 and the other was the dreaded packaged yeast that came with a cheap kit... as it was experimental anyway, I used the garbage yeast. Did all three batches the same way and the 04 batch is the only one that acted weird.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used the S-04 yeast in a batch recently and the fermentation seemed at least as vigorous as anything else I've done lately...

Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

S-04 usually ferments almost completely out in around 48hrs for me.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
Corkster
Recipes 

thanks guys..... so from what I'm able to ascertain... 04 generally ferments out a bit faster than 05, but two days seems a bit abnormal (though not unheard of at all) and my high F.G. would likely indicate to a stuck fermentation.

Well, I reckon I'll Keep it in there for another week or so while I let the other two batches finish up then rack that batch onto the yeast cake from one of the other batches and give it a week or so to see if the gravity drops or if it truly is finished.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sounds reasonable, however some things to try first... ...what's your temp at, you could possibly raise it a bit and swirl the fermenter to wake the yeasties up and get them back in to suspension.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply