The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rubber Tatse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Kweulag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rubber Tatse

Hey I've been brewing for a while now and have not had any issue with my beer. I recently did a all grain Belgian White. It has a "VERY" strong rubber taste to it. Ph levels were spot on, fermentation temp was a steady 67 degrees. It is bottled and carbonated great color and amazing head. If I let it sit will the taste go away if so what temp should I store it at?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If you're talking about a rubbery/sulfery/matchstick type taste and aroma, I don't think it will go away. I used to get that occasionally when I didn't have temp control and the yeast got too hot. I had it one time since under a firm fermentation control. I believe it's derived from stressed yeast. It never went away.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Are you very familiar with Belgian Wits?

The yeast used in wits has a very distinctive phenol that you may be perceiving as rubbery.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Are you very familiar with Belgian Wits?

The yeast used in wits has a very distinctive phenol that you may be perceiving as rubbery.
Thats what I was gonna say. Maybe you just aren't used to the taste of the yeast!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Whats a "tatse"??.... kidding...
I was thinking yeast flavor too, but poor fermentation temp control could do it also.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yeah, could just be the yeast, didn't even pay attention to the type of beer. Rubber sounds odd for a wit flavor though, even given variances in one's perception.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Do you sanitize with bleach? It could be that the higher-than-normal phenols in a wit reacted with some residual bleach, giving you chlorophenols (plastic/rubber/band-aid)

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 341 Posts

That happened to me once with a cider, and again recently, again with cider. The first time it went away, but it took a long time. It was a 1.100 gravity cider which I used Notty for. One packet, since I didn't know anything about pitching proper amounts of yeast. I gave up on it for over a year and when I cracked one recently, the rubbery taste was gone and the cider was awesome.

The newest batch was a test batch which I mashed some maris otter, boiled the wort with nelson sauvin and mixed with AJ. OG was 1.075. After two weeks, the rubbery taste was overwhelming. Two months later, it's going away, but still there. I'm gonna stash this one in the brew closet for awhile, maybe even give it some secondary time. I'm gonna give it a shot in another couple months and see how it's coming along.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Kweulag
Recipes 

Shock Top and Blue Moon are what I was heading for used 1 oz of orange bitters and coriander in the boil. The no bleached used in sensitization use A1 sanitizer(not the steak sauce). Like I said temp was controlled. The only thing I can come up with is walnut was added would the fat from the nut make the foul taste. I plan to let it sit to see if it helps but as is it is my biggest regret and undrinkable!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

possibly the walnut raw walnuts have that hint to them... age it and see...

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Quick Reply