The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rubber Carboy Cap for a blow-off tube?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
StrangeDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rubber Carboy Cap for a blow-off tube?

A quick story and a question for everyone - when trying to remove my airlock from the lid of a plastic fermentor I accidently ripped out the rubber stopper in the hole meaning I can't get an air-tight lock on the bucket anymore. I just bought a stopper along with everything else needed for my next batch...

And of course the stopper doesn't fit in the hole for the fermentor, leaving me back where I started.

So the other solution I have is to use my 5 gallon glass carboy and a rubber carboy cap with a tube usually used for siphoning attached to one of the spouts.

The tube creates a good seal but I'm a little concerned that the pressure built up inside the carboy will just easily push the cap off the carboy instead of just out the tube. Is this a valid concern? Has anyone done this before? Any other advice?

Thanks all

“If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
-Paul Newman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

the pressure will exit through the tube. I've heard people warn about using a small hose and getting the hose clogged by the blow-ff from the fermentation, but I've never heard an actual horror story about an explosion caused by this.

I am not sure I understand what happened to your first stopper, but why doesn't your new stopper fit in the fermenter? Is the stopper too small?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
StrangeDog
Recipes 

I basically ripped the previous stopper in half when removing the airlock... now the new one is too big and I can't get it to fit..

“If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
-Paul Newman

Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You could drill a hole in the center of the lid for the rubber stopper and then use the airlock. You can usually purchase tubing that will fit the opening of a carboy.

Mine is 1.25 in. and it will seal the opening well creating a blow off tube. Put the end of the tube in a small container or Star San.

I actually wouldn't ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon fermentor as you will likely not have enough head room and possibly lose some beer to the resulting blow off.

Gary

Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDog View Post
I basically ripped the previous stopper in half when removing the airlock... now the new one is too big and I can't get it to fit..
Can you just make the lid's hole bigger so that it will accept the new stopper?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #6
tele_powder
Recipes 

Most hbs's sell new pre drilled lids with washers too for a couple bucks

regards,
-j

Quick Reply