Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Room Temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
jake5240
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Room Temperature?

I did my first brew two weeks ago and now have a question that I am having a hard time finding an answer.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and my closet stays at about 78 degrees. I have been using a fan, wet towel, tub of water, and ice packs to keep the fermentor at about 75. I plan on bottling this weekend and I am curious what the temperature will do to the beer. I have read to keep the beer at room temperature for 3 weeks. I have also read that it should be kept at 70 for 3 weeks.

For me there is a big difference between room temperature and the 70 degrees. Does anyone have experience with leaving the bottle at approx. 78 to condition and does this adversely effect the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well with temps that high you are going to get some fruity esters in your final product. this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it depends on what you are trying to make. For instance, a heff, wit, or even some pale ales can do right with a little bit of a fruity finish, but something like a Kolsh would be better off without.

My advise would be if you are stuck with fermentation temperatures that high, stick with styles that will benefit from a warmer ferment, otherwise look into a son of a fermentation chiller, or search fermentation chiller or fermentation cabinet, or get a refrigerator and temperature controller to help keep you beers fermenting at an optimal temperature for your style

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

You should be fine bottling at those temps.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

78 to ferment is high IMO, but 78 to condition doesn't seem to have adverse effects so far. The room where I store my bottles for carbing gets to 80 this time of year, and I haven't noticed a problem. I fermented my first batch in there though, and it is definitely too hot for that. That beer was drinkable, but definitely had more fruity overtones then I like.

Quick Reply