Rookie Mistake (No Blow out tube) OOPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey26

Reaction score
So.... I brewed my first batch of beer this Saturday. Everything went well until this afternoon.

My fermentation was happening slowly, so I thought. I wasn't able to check my batch this morning, but when I came home from work it had blown out the top. I had the cork and fermentator lock in place, but no blow off tube (because I didn't think I needed one for another day or two, oooops). Everything was still in tact, but beer was coming out the lock.

I cleansed and sanitized the lock and put it back on, but left the cork in place. I then attached a sanitized blow off tube to the lock.

I can assure you, this will be the last time that ever happens, haha.

Has my batch been compromised?

Oh, and I should mention it's not a cork on the better bottle, but one of those Orange tops with two out holes. I'm not sure what it's called.

Same thing happened to me on my first brew. Beer turned out fine. There is so much CO2 coming out of the fermentor during first couple days of fermentation that it is hard for anything to get in and contaminate.

Carboy cap. Everything's fine. I think the appropriate advice here is

RDWHAHB_license_plate.JPG

I had the same thing happen to me, but it resulted in the air lock landing 6' in one direction, and the bung about 6' in another direction, sometime in the middle of the night.

The yeast was very angry for that first 12 hours... Which fortunately for me resulted in one mean Irish Stout! :mug:

Back