The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > rolled oats vs. flaked oats

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
ampete1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 16
Default rolled oats vs. flaked oats

Is there a difference between rolled oats and flaked oats? If a recipe calls for 1 pound of rolled oats is the equivalent needed for flaked oats as a substitute?

__________________
ampete1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Beezer94
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Harmony, PA
Posts: 568
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sub-...l-stout-57216/

the links at the bottom of your posted page under "Similar Threads" showed me this
__________________
Beezer94 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
davesrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 964
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampete1 View Post
Is there a difference between rolled oats and flaked oats?
There may or may not be. Both are rolled, but with "flaked" you know that they were wetted before they were rolled (and with the friction from being rolled, they had some gelatinization). "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" are not wetted before being rolled, so it's often encouraged that they should be cooked before being mashed. With my brews, I just go ahead and get flaked oats from the HBS since I know I won't need any pre-mash steps. With getting "rolled" from certain sources, it's hard to figure as to whether they need to be cooked or not.
__________________
On Tap: Barleywine, Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (big big beer)
Conditioning:Baltic Porter
Fermenting: Double Simcoe IPA
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA


"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd
davesrose is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Hookstrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 47
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrose View Post
There may or may not be. Both are rolled, but with "flaked" you know that they were wetted before they were rolled (and with the friction from being rolled, they had some gelatinization). "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" are not wetted before being rolled, so it's often encouraged that they should be cooked before being mashed. With my brews, I just go ahead and get flaked oats from the HBS since I know I won't need any pre-mash steps. With getting "rolled" from certain sources, it's hard to figure as to whether they need to be cooked or not.
There seems to be a lot of disinformation on the many threads concerning oats. So, I thought I would add something from Mr. Breakfast himself (!): http://www.mrbreakfast.com/glossary_...?glossaryID=13

"All mass-market American oatmeal cereals are made from rolled oats. Rolled oats are cleaned, graded and pearled - a process that removes the husk from the oat grain, steam-softens it, and then rolls it flat between heavy metal rollers spinning at super speed."

<snip>

"What’s the difference between Old Fashioned and Quick Oats? According to Quaker Consumer Relations, "The only difference between Old-Fashioned Oats and Quick is that the Quick Oats are cut into smaller pieces to shorten the cooking time.""

This last point has been mentioned before, but there are several threads insisting that you need to use the Quick Oats. This clearly suggests that if you're planning to run the oats through your grain mill it doesn't matter. RDWHAHB!
__________________
Hookstrat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
sonetlumiere85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 389
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

If it looks like a flake, it's flaked. Flaked oats are made by rolling. This is the company most LHBS get their flaked oats from: http://www.grainmillers.com/Oat_Flakes.aspz

Same thing.

__________________
sonetlumiere85 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Doorman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookstrat View Post
There seems to be a lot of disinformation on the many threads concerning oats. So, I thought I would add something from Mr. Breakfast himself (!): http://www.mrbreakfast.com/glossary_...?glossaryID=13

"All mass-market American oatmeal cereals are made from rolled oats. Rolled oats are cleaned, graded and pearled - a process that removes the husk from the oat grain, steam-softens it, and then rolls it flat between heavy metal rollers spinning at super speed."

<snip>

"What’s the difference between Old Fashioned and Quick Oats? According to Quaker Consumer Relations, "The only difference between Old-Fashioned Oats and Quick is that the Quick Oats are cut into smaller pieces to shorten the cooking time.""

This last point has been mentioned before, but there are several threads insisting that you need to use the Quick Oats. This clearly suggests that if you're planning to run the oats through your grain mill it doesn't matter. RDWHAHB!
This was the same explanation that I received from the guy of my local "grain / green" store.. he explained me in detail the process, and the difference is that the quick oats are crushed and the rolled aren't.

The reason for that (from food perspective) is that is better use rolled oats when you want to use it for a crunchier granola for example.
__________________
Doorman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
mr_y82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: asheville, nc
Posts: 100
Default

Is there anyway to use flaked oats with malt extract brew rather than in a mash???

Can you mash the oats alone???

edit... I guess not?
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html
"Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion."

__________________
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779
mr_y82 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Genjin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 262
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You can't mash alone, but just add equal amounts of 2-row to oats and you should get good conversion for a partial mash.

__________________
Genjin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
mr_y82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: asheville, nc
Posts: 100
Default

Thanks... I looked around some more and found this recipe... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/milk...-stout-182975/

I'll just steep the oats with my chocolate malt and call it a day.

__________________
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779
mr_y82 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
ampete1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 16
Default

Flaked oats do not need to be mashed. Steeping the flaked oats will be enough.

__________________
ampete1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rolled Oats clarification Zooom101 Recipes/Ingredients 13 10-07-2009 08:58 PM
flaked oats vs quick oats zman Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-24-2008 06:31 PM
Sub Quick oats for flaked oats? (dry stout to oatmeal stout?) sleepystevenson Recipes/Ingredients 9 03-05-2008 01:02 AM
flaked oats,, crushed oats Daznz All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 07-11-2006 03:57 PM
Rolled Oats and Enzymes mcliffor Recipes/Ingredients 1 06-24-2006 01:22 PM