The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Roasted barley.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
BarlimanButterbur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'd avoid the oats and coffee, since those involve a lot of oils and in moderate amounts are bad for head retention. The Carafa, as people have already point out, won't have the roasted bite that roasted barley gives. The Homebrewer's Garden by Joe Fisher and Dan Fisher says you can make roasted barley from clean, dry, unmalted barley by roasting it in the oven at 400F for about 70 minutes. You should spread it out on a baking sheet about 3/4 inch thick. Then you're supposed to let them cool and store them in a dry place for five to seven days so they can "mellow".

I haven't done it before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
duffstuff
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies. From my limited knowledge carafa2 is the only black malt on the market. I think roasting my own will be the option. Could I roast a pilsner malt or pale ale malt. ( I have plenty of each) ?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlimanButterbur View Post
I'd avoid the oats and coffee, since those involve a lot of oils and in moderate amounts are bad for head retention.
?? Oats bad for head retention? I've actually seen the opposite..... I've made some Oatmeal stouts with a healthy amount of flaked oaks that had GREAT head retention......

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
BarlimanButterbur
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
?? Oats bad for head retention? I've actually seen the opposite..... I've made some Oatmeal stouts with a healthy amount of flaked oaks that had GREAT head retention......
From what I understand, though I'm willing to be corrected, oats in large proportions are bad for head retention, although they can be beneficial in smaller amounts.
If you Ctrl+f the following and search "oats", it says the same thing I'm saying. http://www.byo.com/stories/article/i...-fabulous-foam Of course, there are all kinds of factors in head retention. The batch that I brewed with oats did not have terrible head retention, but it was worse than I would have expected. YMMV.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
From what I understand, though I'm willing to be corrected, oats in large proportions are bad for head retention, although they can be beneficial in smaller amounts.
If you Ctrl+f the following and search "oats", it says the same thing I'm saying. http://www.byo.com/stories/article/i...-fabulous-foam Of course, there are all kinds of factors in head retention. The batch that I brewed with oats did not have terrible head retention, but it was worse than I would have expected. YMMV.
Agree there are many factors that can contribute or degrade head retention. It appears that entire article (haven't read it all yet) is devoted to the subject. When it comes to oats, I might give that it may reduce the overall amount of foam as they call it, but retention may actually be better not worse. Who knows, maybe a side by side test would show something else, but I haven't noticed problems from a practical application standpoint.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffstuff View Post
Thanks for all the replies. From my limited knowledge carafa2 is the only black malt on the market. I think roasting my own will be the option. Could I roast a pilsner malt or pale ale malt. ( I have plenty of each) ?
Roast the pale ale malt and pay close attention to it and stir it often during the 70 minute roast to help it heat evenly and prevent parts from burning.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

I'm not sure that roasting malt will get you what you want - roasted barley is unmalted. The Carafa II seems like a safer option.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
duffstuff
Recipes 

Thanks for all the help . I think I'll play it safe . Cheers

Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
BarlimanButterbur
Recipes 

Roasted pale is AKA Black Patent.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
bja
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Roasted pale
Never heard of it. Must be a Canada thing.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply