Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > RO and RO/DI Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Forrest-hunters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default RO and RO/DI Water

As you can see this is my first post and I may be buying a starter kit tonight and starting my first batch tomorrow. I dont know anyone who has ever done this so I am green. Question is I have an RO unit that I used for my salt water reef aqarium that I no longer use, but is still hooked up. I have been lurking here for a few days and see varying views on the whole water and bacteria thing. Can I use the RO water and is it any better or worse? Also I have heard you should not drink RO water that is de-ionized but that is straight from the unit as it will deplete things out of your body. Wondering if I use the RO water would the DI be any better as you are putting a lot of things back into the water through the whole brewing process?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ro/Di water is fine with extract batches. For all grain, you will need to add salts (calcium at the very least).

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

RO water is absolutely perfect! I just bought an RO unit myself (no saltwater aquarium, though, just brewing) because it's great to start with non-chlorinated pure water for brewing. Alkalinity is my issue- I have great tasting water but it's high in bicarbonate so I've been buying RO water from the store and hauling it home to mix with my tap water. An RO unit already installed is great.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I'd love to have an RO system for my beer. I brew AG and I'd have to add a few minerals, but extract already has the minerals the yeast need, so it's ready to use.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have an RO/DI system for my reef tank. For my first batch I used tap water and that proved to be an issue (chloramine in the water). I have been using RO/DI since then, following the advice in this thread: Brewing Water Chemistry Primer

Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Forrest-hunters
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Homercidal,

Your not far from me as I am here in Rockford. Go Bulldogs on Saturday. I spent my first year of college there before transferring to MSU. Can say that is where I learned to drink the product we all enjoy here.

I will try the RO water first does anyone think the DI will be a problem? I can take the water before or after the DI filters at I have 2 in series as I wanted 0 TDS water for the aquarium. Starting TDS is 209 and after DI is 0 and about 10-20 before DI, but I need to recheck that.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-hunters View Post
Homercidal,

Your not far from me as I am here in Rockford. Go Bulldogs on Saturday. I spent my first year of college there before transferring to MSU. Can say that is where I learned to drink the product we all enjoy here.

I will try the RO water first does anyone think the DI will be a problem? I can take the water before or after the DI filters at I have 2 in series as I wanted 0 TDS water for the aquarium. Starting TDS is 209 and after DI is 0 and about 10-20 before DI, but I need to recheck that.
You can use the DI or the RO without any issue. The small amount of TDS in RO water is fine, but the DI is fine too. If it was just as easy, I'd take the water before the DI.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Dogs have a hard fight in front of them, but it's amazing they had the drive to do what they've done so far this season. I think they just need to relax and go out and have fun. BC is an incredible hockey campus. There would be no surprise if they won.

Ferris State is truly an underDOG in this game! (Pun intended. no apologies offered.)

Quick Reply