Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Risk of oxidization leaving a lager in a bucket primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Risk of oxidization leaving a lager in a bucket primary?

My father-in-law and I brew together & he wanted to try a lager (I'm pretty much an ale guy!!!), so on 5-8-10 we brewed a boston lager clone. Did not get a lot of air lock activity, but after scouring the threads, I overcame my NOOB fears and trusted the yeasty beasties...thank you all!!! I just took a hydrometer reading and we nailed our target gravity at 1.012
My concern is that there is too much head space in a 6.5 gal primary bucket and the yeast have finished their job so no more C02 will be produced to protect the beer. We don't have a 5 gal carboy to rack to for a secondary--we have just used another bucket in the past. FIL is not convinced we need one or that oxidization is even a concern. We did a diacetyl rest for the last 48 hrs and now back to the fridge to get it back to the high 50's. Again, I have scoured the threads and still can't come to any satisfying conclusions. So...
1) How long can I leave a lager in the primary bucket once the lid has been removed, CO2 released, & fermentation is complete?
2) How big a problem is oxidization? Can't imagine there is any difference between racking off the trub into another bucket and leaving it in the primary at this point.
3) Is there a cheaper way to protect the beer from oxidization than buying a 5 gal carboy?
4) If I can't lager in a carboy, should I just bottle and let it condition there?

Any and all advice is appreciated...Y'all have helped maintain my sanity and have been a motherlode of info as we have set off on this grand brewing experiment!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If I were you, I'd just bottle it and then lager in the bottles. I know that freaks some people out, but there really is not much difference from bulk conditioning, just maybe a little more bottle sediment. Obviously let them carb up at room temperature first.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

1)2-6 months
2) not
3) it's okay
4) lager first

If you are very, very worried, toss 1 oz of cane sugar in the bucket and reform the CO2 blanket.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
uwjester
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could get yourself a cornelius keg and lager in that. The bonus is that you already have a start on the equipment for when you start kegging.

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

uwjester has a good idea. Kegs are compact, light-proof, air-tight and relatively cheap.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use kegs, they are perfect.

I wouldn't do secondary of any kind in a bucket...I did it once and it was horrible. I suppose I cannot be certain it was the buckets fault, but it was by no means airtight and I wouldn't trust a bucket at all.

Bottle it and lager in bottles or get a corny keg.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Adventures in homebrewing is selling sets of four for $80.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-4-Soda-Kegs-5-gallon-Cornelius-keg-_p_1549.html

Scott...

Primary: Reaper's Mild
Secondary:
Kegged (aging):
Kegged (Drinking): DFH 120 Min IPA Clone, Hefe
Bottled: Cinnamon Vanilla Mead, 8-8-08 RIS, Devil May Cry, Westvleteren 12 clone, Very Berry Mead
On Deck: How Rye am I Saison, DFH 120 min clone

Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thank you all for the advice, but if I could afford to run out and buy cornies, I would go buy a 5 gal. carboy. I bottle, I enjoy bottling (gasp!!!), and will keep bottling for the forseeable future. My questions are concerning what I should do with the equipment I have and how big an issue oxidization will be if I use a bucket...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Kegs are compact, light-proof, air-tight and relatively cheap.
They also have built-in handles and dip tubes, they hold pressure, and you can serve from them. They are quite useful even if you continue to bottle:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/priming-keg-bottle-conditioning-92692/

Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

There are a couple of issues (to me) with lagering in the bucket. One is the headspace, which I think is a concern after a month or so. Secondly, I didn't see if you racked the beer or not. If you did, I don't think I'd worry but if not, I'd get the beer off of the yeast cake ASAP. I like to rack my lagers right after the diacetyl rest, to get it off of the yeast cake. So, my thought is that there are two strikes against you- the yeast cake and the headspace. I'd get a carboy, and rack and then lager.

Quick Reply