Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Risk of autolysis in a 3 week fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Read this, and you'll see that even John Palmer, who caused the whole autolysis panic among new brewers like you has retracted his views on it....

Nowadays even many instructions, in BYO magazine, and even some kits suggest a long primary as opposed to using a secondary. So it's pretty obviously that they're not buying that bogeyman anymore either.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Autolysis is not the inevitable end of healthy yeast. It is the unnatural end that is a product of yeast health...like peritinitus or even cancer in us....it is an abberation....UNHEALTHY AND STRESSED yeast autolyse... but rarely do we have unhealthy yeast these days, most of the yeast we pitch is fresh...and unless we are making a huge beer, even underpitching will not NECESSARILY produce stressed out yeast. Or stressed out yeast that will automatically autlolyse....

Most yeast that folks call dead, is actually dormant. Like most of what's in the bottom of the fermenter when fermentation is complete. And the yeast is indead dead, a lot of it is canibalized by the living yeast. And the rest, if the yeast was healthy to begin with, is just dead....think of it as natural causes, it's not necessarily spilling it's "intestinal" goop into our beer.

As Palmer and Jamil have said it is a RARE occurance these days that yeast actually dies anymore, let alone actually autolyses. It just goes dormant when the job is done and waits for the next round of sugar (much like when we pitch on top of the old yeast cake- which even some commercial brewers do for multiple generations.) The cells rarely rupture and die off.

It's not like 30 years ago (when most of those opinions that you espouse about autolysis originated from) when our hobby was still illegal, and there wasn't a lot of FRESH yeast available to us. The yeast used in hobby brewing was usually in cake form, which came from Germany and England in hot cargo ships and may have sat on a store shelf for a long time....or the brewer just used bread yeast.

Palmer even said this in the broadcast I quote from above-

Quote:
So the whole health and vitality of yeast was different back then compared to now. Back then it made sense. You had weaker yeast that had finished fermentation that were more susceptible to autolysis and breaking down. Now that is not the case. The bar of homebrewing has risen to where we are able to make beer that has the same robustness as professional beer. We've gotten our techniques and understanding of what makes a good fermentation up to that level, so you don't need to transfer the beer off the yeast to avoid autolysis like we used to recommend.
Yeast in the 21st century is much healthier to begin with, and is less prone to have issues like their cells autolysing....just like our own health tends to be better these days.

Many of us leave our beers a MINIMUM of 1 month before racking or bottling, folks have left their beers in primary for a year or more with no issues. This is not something these days that most brewers (except noobs just stumbling onto Palmer's free book,) worry about.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by neudson View Post
For you to have an idea, i've made a gravity measure with 24hs and the OG has droped from 1.082 to somewhere around 1.045. I think it's good, isn't it?
Yeah, you're good. And those temperatures are fine. Just try to keep it in that range throughout the time it's in the primary.

I agree with what's in Revvy's post. Autolysis is unlikely. But between it being your first batch and your warm location, I was thinking worse case scenario of your beer sitting in that 86 degree room for an extended period.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
here we are at constant 86F room temperature
I should pay you to give my SWMBO a presentation on first world problems. I've been chewed out several times this year for keeping the thermostat at 75-76. She DEMANDS 72-73.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

neudson Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll be fine. Leave it alone for three weeks, a month, six weeks. As long as it's not in there for three or four months, you'll be fine.

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One time I had a primary go for 2 months and it was fine.

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Silby8919
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had two different brews in their primaries for 14 months. Pulled them off after tasting to make sure flavor was good & bottled with yeast added to the bottling bucket along with priming sugar. Was not a problem.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Many of us leave our beers a MINIMUM of 1 month before racking or bottling, folks have left their beers in primary for a year or more with no issues. This is not something these days that most brewers (except noobs just stumbling onto Palmer's free book,) worry about.
Just leave the fermenter lid on to keep the CO2 "blanket" from being blown away and you will be fine..

bosco

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
neudson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Thanks everyone!

I was just for taking it out of my head. I'll keep it fermenting for the planned three weels and then going for racking and bottling. When it's ready i came back to share the results with you!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I can't really add anything that you haven't already read here, but for reference, I only rack to secondayr for dry hopping and weather or not I do that, I leave the beer in primary for at least 3 weeks. So far, that has been my magic number of giving the yeast enough time to clean everything up.

From everything I have read on this site and information given to me personally, the old ways of racking to secondary, getting the year off the yeast in two weeks, etc. Thos are all things that were developed in the early days of homebrewing. Today's technology and better products have changed those old ideas quite a bit. Sometimes it's hard to adapt to change. And when the old ways of brewing have worked for someone, it's tough to convince them there may be a better way.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Default not gonna be a problem

Most of the Ales I brew are in the my conical for three weeks, and my lagers can be in for months, never even the hint of autolysis. I don't even know anyone whose had it.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Quick Reply