Is Rinsing Grains Important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
I was watching a video and it suggested the rinse your grains by pour 170F water over them after the mash. Essentially raise them out of the water and pour the water over them.

I'm doing an extract with specialty grains tomorrow and I'm wondering if that's an important step?

you can its not as important as doing it with a mash(converting starches to sugar).I usually do rinse them,or you can simply raise the temp.

Yes, you'll want to do this in order to get ALL the sugars and enzymes you can from the grains. Even though most of your grain bill is extract, the grains will impart unique flavors to the final brew. The process is called sparging and if/when you get into all-grain, it is a VERY important part of making a great brew. I'm still doing mostly extract with about a 3 pound grain partial-mash and I leave room in the boil pot for about 1/2 to 1 gallon of sparge water. Essentially, you pour hot water through the grains until it runs clear.

No need to do it when steeping only. Just pull them out when temp reaches 170. You can dunk and lift a couple times if you want.

when I was doing kits the recipes usually didn't say to do this, but I've always done it anyway. get every little bit of goodness out of them grains

I would have to agree to why waste flavor or color, and BTW make bread out of it when your done with it,its delicious.

At the very LEAST, let it all drain out. It's not super important but you'll get a little more flavor.
It's like getting the last few squeezes of toothpaste out of the tube.

Back