Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ring on top of beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
sacks13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ring on top of beer

I started another thread on the aroma of my beer in the secondary, and have now noticed a ring of mold-looking spots on the top of the beer. There might be 20 little spots in total and they're in a perfect circle covering 80% of the circumference of the top layer of the beer inside the secondary. What is this likely to be and what should I do?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of times little bubbles from the yeast accumulate on top in secondary and they can look like mold. I'll bet that's what you have.

I've never brewed using honey, I wonder if that's contributing to the sweet smell?

Give the carboy a gentle swirl and see if the stuff on top acts like bubbles. Unless they start looking like little icebergs or some other crazy thing I would just leave it alone.

Even if you do have some actual mold it doesn't mean the batch is ruined, it can be like mold on cheese, just cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
sacks13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson
A lot of times little bubbles from the yeast accumulate on top in secondary and they can look like mold. I'll bet that's what you have.

I've never brewed using honey, I wonder if that's contributing to the sweet smell?

Give the carboy a gentle swirl and see if the stuff on top acts like bubbles. Unless they start looking like little icebergs or some other crazy thing I would just leave it alone.

Even if you do have some actual mold it doesn't mean the batch is ruined, it can be like mold on cheese, just cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.
You, my friend, are the bearer of good news. Thanks!

Quick Reply