New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > review on my first beer; a B.B. red ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default review on my first beer; a B.B. red ale

Bottled the red ale a week ago, and planned to open one a week for three weeks to see how it carbonates. Brewday went very well. Transferred this to a secondary so I could put a stuck oatmeal stout on the red ale's yeast cake.

SG and FG hit dead middle of Brewer's Best instruction sheet. It was in secondary for three weeks. Put a bottle in the fridge earlier in the day before opening.

Beer opens with a nice hiss of CO2. Nothing outrageous, but distinct. I pour beer carefully to not stir up yeast on bottom (a 1/16" layer). Very little head other than a ring around edge of glass. I see some slight effervescing coming up sides of my Sam Adams glass. Ale is definitely hazy, with an apple cider color and clarity.

Beer has a bit of an apple aroma to it. The first taste tastes like a cider that is starting to vinegar up a little. It is dry finishing. A fair amount of alcohol taste is present. This is pretty much as it tasted from the hydrometer samples and the little left in the bottling bucket that I drank.

The beer isn't what I would call bad, but in it's current state not something I would intentionally purchase. Looking forward to seeing what occurs by next Sunday.

Do any glaring mistakes look obvious from my review?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
PolishStout
Recipes 

sounds fine to me. just needs to condition longer

Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The glaring mistake I see is that you did not wait long enough.

Give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle and report back. 4 is better.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

My first brew was a BB red ale. I made quite a few noob mistakes but the biggest one was pitching the yeast at higher than ideal temperatures. The beer never tasted right. It always had a fruity/banana flavor. I think it can be a good beer if done right.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
lou2row

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
The glaring mistake I see is that you did not wait long enough.

Give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle and report back. 4 is better.
I know it would take 3-4 weeks; wanted to see carbonation progression and see if flavors change. I will continue this thread next week with any changes. No one seems to think the apple taste is an issue, so that is a relief.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 640 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Keep on sampling on your schedule to see how it changes and don't get too carried away with the drinking. It will get better with time. I'd probably expect it to peak at 6 to 8 weeks after bottling.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
lou2row

Recipes 

I stay pretty stocked in the beer fridge already, so I have a few to get me through.

By documenting my way through, it will give a better idea than just,"I think it was like this, but now it's much better." And maybe help other new guys as well as myself to see that patience pays off.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
Duffman53
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would follow the advice in the previous posts and wait a few weeks. This was actually the first batch I brewed. I bottled after two weeks of fermentation and let the bottles sit at room temperature for one week before trying one. It tasted like half of a Killians topped off with water. I was very disappointed to say the least. I had a couple of bottles one week later during the super bowl and it was decent. I waited one more week and every beer since then has been delicious.

You'll read brewers on here saying that they wait six or eight weeks after bottling. That might be extreme but there is a point to be made about being patient and letting the beer do its work in the bottle.

Please give an update and let everyone know how it turned out.
D

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
edie
Recipes 

we always (always! we've only been brewing since 08.2010) have the BB red ale in the keezer. seems to appeal to our BMC drinking friends and also to those that like a little more flavor.

primary for a week+ a few days and then secondary for 2 weeks. 4th batch kegged a few weeks ago and our "red dirt ale" is always ready!!

PRIMARY
nada

SECONDARY
nada

ON TAP
#1 damn near dead guy
#2 lil pils
#3 daisy's dunkel
#4 cream of the crop

ON DECK
-still looking for a rye (an extract with a low hop profile)

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
lou2row

Recipes 

Okay, 16 days in the bottle. Let this one sit in the fridge for two days and shared it with my wife and a friend. Cider smell still very apparent. Flavor has smoothed with less dryness on the finish. Still some alcohol bite, but less than the one week beer. Both my wife and friend liked it. I feel it was still very green. Carbonation not much better than at one week.
Glad to see some improvement, and looking forward to next few weeks to see if it continues.

Quick Reply