Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Reusing yeast question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
size
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reusing yeast question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Brewer Forums
When you are racking your beer from the primary fermentor to the secondary, is the time that you should be collecting the yeast. It’s easy to do it. Just sanitize a quart jar and lid, sanitize the neck of the primary fermentor, and pour from the fermentor into the jar.
all right, quick question. so i rack off from the primary ---> secondary, taking precautions not to suck up any trub, and then pour what's left over into a jar?

i guess my question is where you draw the line between 'trub' and 'reusable yeast'? does that trub harbor yeast within it? and storing methods aside, will the yeast only be good for a similar style of beer?

edit: also i'd just like to rant about how pissed i am at myself for buying a goose island reserve 4-pack for $12, completely forgetting i have a cold and can't taste a damn thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/

You'll wash your yeast to quickly separate the trub from the yeast. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it will sure save you a lot of money in the long run.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
size
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

gah, i looked for it, i swear. then i typed it into google and got the NBH forums.

sorry for a repeat thread :x

and thanks a bunch, rsmith.

Quick Reply