Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Reusing yeast in primary carboy with hops on walls of carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
brewinginct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reusing yeast in primary carboy with hops on walls of carboy?

I'm aware that you can pitch wort directly on the yeast left in the fermentation carboy with great results.

But do you have to worry about infection from hop particles stuck to the inside rounded top of the carboy?

If there's no downside (ie increased risk of infection) then I'd prefer to keep those hop particles in the carboy to see what effect it will have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 649

As long as your next beer is darker and has a higher IBU you should be fine. I try not to make a habit of reusing yeast cakes (do a search for yeast washing), but when doing a 'big' beer it works great. As far as sanitation goes......shouldn't be a problem. If the beer that came out of the carboy wasn't infected .....than the carboy is fine. I usually rack the beer off relatively close to the time to add the next. You don't want the cake sitting around for days IMHO.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for Hammy71: you want to go darker & hoppier with each use of the yeast cake. I sometimes will try to make the SAME beer each time, and it definitely is darker & a little hoppier with each successive generation.

As for infections. . . No. Hops are antimicrobial, so they won't give you an infection.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Downsides:
1. You are most likely overpitching your yeast, resulting in a less pronounced yeast flavor profile
2. You are risking flavor transfer form one batch to the next.

Jason

Quick Reply