Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Reusing yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
birvine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Zaxxer - I was going to pitch directly onto the yeast cake then give it a very vigorous swirl to mix it in and oxygenate it. At some point I am going to wash yeast and save it in the fridge for future batches but that will come another day.

B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This past weekend, I racked a 1054 OG stout off a yeast cake of Wyeast 1056 and put the airlock back on the carboy, brewed an 1122 OG barleywine and pitched the chilled wort directly on the old yeast cake. I used Jamil's recipe, and note that Mr. Malty himself recommend this approach in his podcast regarding barleywines. I think most would agree that you would be overpitching if you aren't moving from a low-medium gravity beer to a high gravity beer as I did.

I'm not rich by any means, but I wouldn't risk $50 worth of ingredients to save $6 on a new smack pack if there were any risk to using this method. The only reason I did it is because I knew I needed a huge starter for this barleywine, and I'm not sure how to do that. I think I would have stepped up a 2L starter into a gallon jug, then stepped it up again into two separate gallon jugs. Then I would have to decant to get rid of all that wort, and then bring the yeast back up to pitching temp. That seems like a lot of work and introduces other types of risk into the process, and I still would not get the huge 5 gallon starter I ended up with. In my opinion, this is the perfect situation in which to pitch directly onto a yeast cake. In most any other situation, I would just buy a fresh smack pack and make a normal starter.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So say I am going to pitch from a glass primary. I would sanitize a funnel and my glass half gallon jug, pour in a gallon of cooled sterile water and once the beer is off the yeast cake, pour in the gallon and attempt to pour off the gallon of water into the half gallon container, avoiding trub, getting about a quart?

Thanks for the link btw, that is very helpful.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix404 View Post
I would sanitize a funnel and my glass half gallon jug, pour in a gallon of cooled sterile water and once the beer is off the yeast cake, pour in the gallon and attempt to pour off the gallon of water into the half gallon container, avoiding trub, getting about a quart?
It's a fine distinction, but the water doesn't have to be sterile. Sanitary, yes. And deoxygenated. Boiling takes care of both. Tap water, not distilled/RO.

I boil a growler submerged in a big pot.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yea, with yeast in particular most literature says only used sterilized equipment but I have a feeling because it's going to be used within a few hours of getting captured it won't matter too much and won't lead to much contamination. I can't boil my growler as the glass will crack and the plastic funnel will melt and it would be much easier to use a siphon hose since it's hard to manage a glass carboy, but the syphon hose is plastic.

Cool, so basically... sanitize the growler, funnel and siphon hose. Boil about a gallon or 2 of water and let it cool. Get the beer out of the carboy. Pour in the sterile water, draw out the washed yeast with a siphon hose and into the growler. Wash out the glass primary, sanitize it, pour in the new wort and pitch with the contents of the growler.

Does this sound about right?

Quick Reply