New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ? on reusing a yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default ? on reusing a yeast cake

I am going to brew a vanilla bourbon porter tomorrow or the next day ( hopefully) . I am going to rack it onto a yeast cake from a centennirl blond I have in primary. I am going to rack the Blond to secondary then rack the porter onto the cake, The question I have is how long is the yeast cake usabler after I rack the blond off of it? Can I do that tonight and brew tomorrow as long as I keep everything sanitary and sealed up? or do I need to time it out to put the blond in secondary then put the porter on the cake pretty quickly?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
PintOfBitter
Vendor

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've saved a yeast cake that long with no noticable ill effects, for what it's worth. I guess the only thing going on is that the yeast is exposed to O2 for a while. No prob, right?

That's my thinking anyway.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've usually racked right before pitching. That way, you know there won't be any issues from storage.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've kept cakes for up to a week in the fridge before pitching. Any longer than that and I make a starter.

GT

Quick Reply