Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Reusing a yeast cake ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Reusing a yeast cake ????

when reusing a yeast cake, can I stir it up or do I just rack on top of it? My aeriation method thus far is to hold the brew pot about 4 feet above the fermentor and pour it in. I generally have a huge head of foam...can I do this on top of a yeast cake or not? Also what is the time frame I am working with? Do I need to put the new wort in immediately or do I have some time in between?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you fermenting in a bucket? I would say that pouring your CHILLED wort directly over the yeast cake would work fine as long as you are really mixing that yeast up in the process. However, you should consider recollecting the yeast cake and separating off the yeast from the trub and then repitching. That way all the trub isn't in your fermenter with your new batch.

Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayBrewing View Post
Are you fermenting in a bucket? I would say that pouring your CHILLED wort directly over the yeast cake would work fine as long as you are really mixing that yeast up in the process. However, you should consider recollecting the yeast cake and separating off the yeast from the trub and then repitching. That way all the trub isn't in your fermenter with your new batch.
yes I meant chiled wort. So you are saying I should wash the yeast prior to reusing it? Ok gotta read up on how to do that. I was thinking rack beer #1 into secondary then pour beer #2 right on top of the trub.OH YEAH, yes in a bucket
BALDGUT BREWS

Last edited by OHIOSTEVE; 02-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm saying that you would probably be fine if you just poured your wort onto the old yeast cake, but if you have the time and the desire to learn a new procedure, separating out the trub is a better way to go. This will also help you recapture only the most viable yeast.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind.../Washing_yeast

Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayBrewing View Post
I'm saying that you would probably be fine if you just poured your wort onto the old yeast cake, but if you have the time and the desire to learn a new procedure, separating out the trub is a better way to go. This will also help you recapture only the most viable yeast.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind.../Washing_yeast
I just went through that thread! Thanks for the link though.. Now with washing the yeast does it matter what type of beer you use next? I see folks talking about pitching on the yeast cake but they recommend going to a darker beer than the last one to minimize flavors carrying over. with the washed yeast is this a concern?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 02-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't had a problem with flavors carrying over. If I used a 1056 for one batch, I'll reuse the yeast for another batch that calls for 1056. It doesn't matter to me if the second batch is lighter or darker. However, I do sometimes step up the OG as I progress. First pitch might be a session beer at 1.040 and the next might be 1.050 and so on.

Just make sure the yeast is appropriate for the style of beer you are brewing. If your last batch was a wheat beer, don't reuse that wheat yeast on your next batch which is an IPA.

Quick Reply