Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Resting a Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
daveooph131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Default Resting a Lager

How do you know when you should employ a dialyctic rest after primary fermentation?

I'm getting ready to do a Bavarian Black beer with WLP838 (german southern) and am unsure if I need to do a rest...I went to the White Labs website and couldn't find anything regarding this topic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just type "diacetyl rest" in the search engine and i'm sure you'll find your answer.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
ewbish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
How do you know when you should employ a dialyctic rest after primary fermentation?

I'm getting ready to do a Bavarian Black beer with WLP838 (german southern) and am unsure if I need to do a rest...I went to the White Labs website and couldn't find anything regarding this topic.
diacetyl isn't the only reason.........bringing it up to room temp for 24 hours lets the yeast clean up. Also, by removing it from your temp controlled environment the day before to your racking location..........it lets everything settle out nicely.....you can rack it without moving it, then take it to your lagering fridge and bring it down to your lagering temp.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Do I need to use the step up (control) method a few degrees a day to bring it up to room temp. Or should I just take it out of my temp controlled fridge and let it naturally curve up to room temp?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

a diacetyl rest is one of the easiest things we can do to our beers...and it is also very benign...so the answer is always...it doesn't hurt a beer if you do one when it doesn't really need one...so there is really no point in NOT doing one...it is also the most simplest thing you can do...with lagers I usually just factor it into the time when I rack it into a secondary to lager...I rack, then rest it for 73 hours (or rest hen rack...it really doesn't matter) at room temperatures and then take it back down to lager temps....

If you have any more questions, look at this definitive thread on d-rests. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/prev...ghlight=butter

It's one of those brewing practices like using a hydrometer or sanitizing...there is really no reason to question the validity of doing it...and it doesn't hurt the beer,,,so there is no point in NOT doing it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply