Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Residue at the bottom of the bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
GMoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Residue at the bottom of the bottles

I am curious if anyone has some good sugestions on how to clean out the deposits on the bottom of the glass bottles before reuse, or does it matter?

I soaked the bottls in dish soapy water for a couple days, rinsed, and then ran through the dishwasher. I of course will use a sanitizer before i put new beer into then, but what do I need to do to get the residue out?

Thanks for your help guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoney View Post
I am curious if anyone has some good sugestions on how to clean out the deposits on the bottom of the glass bottles before reuse, or does it matter?

I soaked the bottls in dish soapy water for a couple days, rinsed, and then ran through the dishwasher. I of course will use a sanitizer before i put new beer into then, but what do I need to do to get the residue out?

Thanks for your help guys.
Rinse the bottles right after use and you wont have a build up to contend with.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
GMoney
Recipes 

I do, immediately after use. But regardless, the residue is there. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

oxy clean or pbw soak. also removes labels. +1 to the rinse after pour (right after pour).

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

PBW for a couple days, followed by a good scrubbing with a bottle brush and then rinse them, if you have a bottle washer attachment for your sink, use it, otherwise, rinse well. If that doesn't do it, just get some different bottles, as it'll be something you'll fight for a while.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If I ever have ANY visible gunk on the bottom of a bottle I toss it in the recycle bin. New, clean bottles cost $.50 at the lhbs. I won't soak, scrub and rescrub a bottle just to save $.50. If anyone ever handed me a dirty bottle and offered me $.50 to clean it for him I'd tell him where to go. It's not worth it to me, but, to each his own. For what it's worth, it is almost never an issue for most of us, because immediately rinsing after pouring is very effective.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you rinse right after pouring the beer you can get rid of it. The key is to rinse with hot water 3 times. Shake it up and stuff too - has never failed me yet.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
GMoney
Recipes 

what is pbw?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper1917 View Post
If you rinse right after pouring the beer you can get rid of it. The key is to rinse with hot water 3 times. Shake it up and stuff too - has never failed me yet.
+5 on that... I do it after every pour from a bottle, or as soon as I can (if not at home)... Hasn't failed me yet on any bottles... I have yet to find a bottle brush that can fit through the Grolsch bottle openings, so I have to rinse (no dishwasher here)...

You can also get the jet bottle washers that connect up to the sink faucet... I've not tried one of those yet, but I hear good things about them...

Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
DogFace_Brewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper1917 View Post
This man got it right....hot water 3 times, shake the hell out of it, empty it let it dry upside down....never have build up in my bottles!

Quick Reply